Newbie help with breeds

annefb

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2017
College Station, TX
Hi there. These babies are 3-week-old sexed assorted brown egg layers from My Pet Chicken. When they arrived there were four I thought might be silver laced wyandottes. One was a bit bigger, but similar coloring. Now at 3 weeks, the bigger one is much bigger and more feathered.

Here are the smaller, less feathered ones.

I'm not sure if they are different breeds, same breed, different genders or same breed, same gender, developing at their own speed. Any ideas? Also, on an unrelated note. Is it too early to call this one a male?

Thanks for your help

Anne

The first one looks like a silver laced Wyandotte, the other looks like a silver pencil rock, which is a new breed at MPC this year. I know it's not in the list though. The next looks like another silver laced Wyandotte, and your red one, probably a RIR, is looking suspicious. You should know for sure in a few more weeks as they feather out more.

The first one looks like a silver laced Wyandotte, the other looks like a silver pencil rock, which is a new breed at MPC this year. I know it's not in the list though. The next looks like another silver laced Wyandotte, and your red one, probably a RIR, is looking suspicious. You should know for sure in a few more weeks as they feather out more.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. That other one in the top pic is actually a cream legbar. I should've mentioned that we got three of them because my kiddos were so bummed that our EEs ladies lay light brown eggs and they were excited about blue or green. The cream legbats supposedly lay blue shells. Do you think the wyandottes are different genders with such a huge difference in how they are feathering out?

I really think that RIR is a roo. He/(she) is already SO cocky, challenging all the other chicks. Funny to watch. I am thankful to have a friend who wants a roo, so he'll have a happy farm to go to if so.

Last edited:
Well I learned now what a cream legbar looks like as a chick. From my experiences there isn't a difference in how fast the different sexes of Wyandotte feather out like other breeds. There will be a color and pattern difference that can be seen around 6-8 weeks where the males are usually darker and muddled in coloring.

Back
Top Bottom