Newbie here and I'm sure this is probably a stupid question, but .... I just may be stupid!

marilyn1954

Songster
10 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Small town America
I read somewhere about worming chickens is this true and if so, is there anything else I have to give them to keep them healthy?
Also do chickens do well without a rooster? I really wouldn't want to eat a fertilized egg, that seem gross LOL.

I read somewhere about worming chickens is this true and if so, is there anything else I have to give them to keep them healthy?
Also do chickens do well without a rooster? I really wouldn't want to eat a fertilized egg, that seem gross LOL.
Chickens need fresh water, good food, the right bedding, a dusting area to stay bug free, calcium if they are laying. layer feed is not my choice of feed but many like it once the hen is laying.
Chickens will lay eggs with or without a rooster. A rooster may provide some protection or warning calls to the flock and some hens really like their roosters. Other hens despise the mating process and would love to live rooster free. you are the owner you get to decide.
Fertile eggs taste the same as non fertile eggs. Unless you know what to look for fertile eggs look almost identical to non-fertile eggs. fertile eggs do not just automatically develop into a chick, it takes the right temps and humidity and time too.
i have fried fertile eggs and eaten them. they are yummy not gross. And once the egg is craked open there is no chance of a chick so I don't feel bad eating it.

Hi Marilyn,

Welcome to BYC and to having chickens.

Easy answer---your chickens will be fine without having a rooster around. They will lay eggs, and their feathers will probably stay prettier because roosters balance on the hens backs when they breed the hen, and it can mess up her feathers........ There are some good reasons to have roosters, primary one is to fertilize eggs, and if you prefer infertile eggs...then no rooster around is a good idea.

Worming is a management practice up to the individual chicken owner. If you live in an area where the ground freezes in winter -- you may be able to get by without worming. If you live in a climate where the ground never freezes, all those insects that carry the worms, and the worms seem more plentiful. Free ranging chickens can get into eating insects that are part of the lifecycle of round worms, which are the most common worms in chickens. For my part, I worm at least twice per year...because I know that the environment here is insect heaven and my chickens are fantastic at catching the very insects that harbor stages of roundworms. -- It is easy for me because we live on a cattle ranch and I can access a pour on that is every safe...and only 5-drops on a hen's skin will worm her with very little stress.

Keep asking the good questions - that is how we all learn around here. You can also type key words at the top of the BYC page and get LOADS of information on any subject chicken related.

Good luck with what every you decide to do for your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom