Newbie here from the Sunshine state

manukannijoy

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Hello, everyone. My name is Joy from Florida. Hubby and I have recently (and I mean just last Sunday) became "parents" to 13 chickens, all layers! We had been buying eggs from a lady who lives near us. She posted on facebook that was downsizing her flock so we decided to start raising chickens and bought four of her Easter eggers and an old coop. Two days later, we bought 9 more (3 Red Starts, an RIR, a Black Start, Blue Splash Orpington and 3 more easter eggers). Hubby build a new coop for the pullets. We are still establishing a new routine for our flock. We are empty-nesters with a big yard for the chickens to roam, so why not? I didn't realize how much watching them peck, scratch, eat, drink and sleep gives you such inner pleasure! Looking forward to sharing our experiences and learning from all you veterans in raising these beautiful birds!

Greetings from Kansas, Joy, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us! You name sure seems to suit how you feel about your birds. :celebrate. That is awesome! And I see you've already become infected with two maladies common among members of BYC. The first is called chicken math. It starts with getting "just a few" chickens and then, "well maybe a couple more" and then "Oh, I've always wanted one of that breed." There is no cure but don't worry, most of us on BYC have it to varying degrees of severity. The other is called chicken TV. It's where watching your hens is more fun than television - or even takes the place of television....and the chickens keep changing the channel! It's big fun as well. Anyway, so glad you joined our flock! :weee

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You are in for some real pretty eggs! And a lot.
jumpy.gif

Very nice to meet you Joy, Welcome to the BYC flock. I guess chicken TV is not a secret. Live action, new shows daily, no cable or satellite bills - what a great deal!!

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, Joy, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us! You name sure seems to suit how you feel about your birds. :celebrate. That is awesome! And I see you've already become infected with two maladies common among members of BYC. The first is called chicken math. It starts with getting "just a few" chickens and then, "well maybe a couple more" and then "Oh, I've always wanted on of that breed." There is no cure but don't worry, most of us on BYC have it to varying degrees of severity. The other is called chicken TV. It's where watching your hens is more fun than television - or even takes the place of television....and the chickens keep changing the channel! It's big fun as well. Anyway, so glad you joined our flock! :weee

Thank you for the warm welcome!!! I am so glad we are not alone!!! This is an awesome group to be around with!!!

Back
Top Bottom