ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
hello!
big_smile.png

i'm planning to get coturnix quail...
but i have very little knowledge of raising them...
hmm.png

so i need y'all's help
*how big do they get?
*how is their egg production?
*they can fly right?
*how much room do they need?
*if i have a 5x5 ft wide and 6.5 ft tall greenhouse how many would that hold? with a coop built next to it with access to greenhouse.
*people say it's good to keep them in greenhouses becuase they eat bugs and not plants... is this true?
*how many would you recammend to start with? what ratio of male/female?
*will they hatch eggs if i don't gather them? i would like to get a broody bunch if so.

that's all for now... thanks!

the green house will hold around 12 adults my adults are just under a pound and they lay ALOT of eggs and they will not hatch eggs:( so you will need an incubator in order to hatch eggs

*how big do they get?
Not very. They weight less than a pound.

*how is their egg production?
EXCELLENT

*they can fly right?
Yes. Not for long distances though. They fly straight up as a defense mechanism.

*how much room do they need?
The more the better
big_smile.png
But actually they don't take up a lot of space. I just spoil my birds and give them lots of play area.

*if i have a 5x5 ft wide and 6.5 ft tall greenhouse how many would that hold? with a coop built next to it with access to greenhouse.
I have a kennel about that size that my quail are in. I only have 5 in there, but there is room for at least 6 more. Possibly a dozen.

*people say it's good to keep them in greenhouses becuase they eat bugs and not plants... is this true?
They will eat bugs, but mine ate some of my plants too. Some chinese noodle bean vine were growing along side the kennel and they pulled them through the wire and stripped them clean.

Usually quail run around on the floor though, so if your plants are up high they might be safe. Some bird netting will make sure they stay safe.

*how many would you recammend to start with? what ratio of male/female?
A quad of 1 boy and 3 girls is a good start.

*will they hatch eggs if i don't gather them? i would like to get a broody bunch if so.
Usually they do not brood their own. That being said I had an insane coturnix hen hatch out 3 chicks. 1 made it to adulthood. He is doing great.

The standard rule is 1 square foot of floor space per adult bird. If the greenhouse is 5x5 then it could hold up to 25 birds. If you are like me, and like to give them more space, then a dozen birds would be about right. I like to give 2 square feet. (My birds are pets & long term egg layers. They will not be slaughtered at a year, so I like them to have more space.) I don't like any bird -- even a bach male -- in a cage under 5-6 square feet. But, I spoil them rotten...

As for flying, I've seen my coturnix fly across my basement when they escape from their cage as I'm cleaning (20 foot or so) stopping only because they couldn't go any further (whammed into the sheet that's hanging to keep them OUT of that area if they get loose, ROFL). It's a fluttery weak flight, though. They are not strong flyers nor are they very good at controlling where they go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom