Newbie here - Just got 24 chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PlymouthRocker, May 7, 2009.

1. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    Hello! I'm excited to join this board and become part of the community. We talked about getting chicks this spring or next, but on Sunday an acquaintance gave us two antique nesting boxes, two antique feed bins and two antique feeding troughs so we decided to buy the chicks now. (Doesn't "antique" sound better than "old galvanized stuff"?) We cleaned out the lean-to behind our garage that is on a concrete slab and today I picked up the last 24 chicks at our local feed store: Plymouth Whiterocks and two breeds the feed store owner was unsure about; Black Sexlinx and Orpingtons, he thought. I did a Google search for the black chicks and couldn't find anything.

Today another acquaintance offered us her coop, fence, posts and nesting boxes, so this weekend we are going to put her coop on the concrete slab behind the lean-to and fence it in. The lean-to will go back to patio furniture storage.

The chicks are eating like pigs and enjoying the red light. I'm going to poke around and see if other people have asked the questions that I have.

Again, I'm so happy to be here!
    Stacey

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG] You'll fit right in! If you got Orpingtons, they are great chickens, super sweet and good layers. The black sex link are good layers, too. White rocks are also.

Congrats on scoring all the free stuff! We love freebies here! LOL!

You'll have to post a pic of your new babies!

Shelly

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG] from Arizona!!!!! Congrats on your little feathered friends!

4. cstacatto

cstacatto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Lakewood
    Quote:[​IMG]

Lol Good Luck I just got my 25....MORE BR chicks in the mail today hehehe.

5. SilkieBaby

SilkieBaby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Bakersville, NC
    [​IMG] from Western NC!!! Congrats on your babies!

6. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] you will learn alot from these folks, it is amazing just how much! Wow you made a haul with all the free goodies, your chicks will be happy about it too! [​IMG] Make sure to send pics of those new babies now! [​IMG]

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Howdy and welcome!!! The Black sex link and Black Austrolorps are very similar at this age so it will probably hard to tell what they are until they're a little older but no matter both are extremely good egg layers and if you handle them and talk to them regularly they'll be nice and friendly.

8. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    The chicks are a week old and I'm totally in love! Thanks for the warm welcome here. I've taken some pix and will post later.

Blessings,
    Stacey

9. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    [​IMG] from Southeast Alaska! These guys are great. I'm new as well and have learned lots and have happy babies to show for it.

10. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    [​IMG] From East Texas!!! [​IMG] Good luck with your chicks, if you need any help anyone can answer your questions!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by