Newbie Here

pamperedamber

Songster
Dec 24, 2015
Riverside, Ca
Hello all,

I am Amber from Riverside, Ca. We have a half acre and all or our neighbors have farm animals, so we are going start a little mini farm for just our use. We are currently build in our chicken coop. We have 5 baby chicks waiting to be picked up on Christmas from my mom's coop. There are 2 Easter Eggers (5 weeks), 1 Black Sexlink (4 weeks), 1 Buff Orpington (5 weeks), and 1 Silver Wyandotte (6 weeks).

I am excited for this new journey and learning experience for my family. I love reading all your posts they have been very helpful when trying to decide on what breeds to get, how big to build my coop, and to get a covering for the run.

We live near the river bottom so there are lots of over head predators and a few on the ground ones. We will be training our dogs to be nice to the chickens (i hope). My moms dogs are good with the chickens so it is my hope that I can train my dogs to be as well.

I look forward to this adventure with all of you.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Amber

Hi Amber and welcome to BYC,
You've come to the right place.
If you have any specific questions be sure to ask because that is what BYC is all about.
Since you are new here be sure to check out the learning center, They have loads of information that I am sure you'll enjoy.
Good Luck!
And...
welcome-byc.gif

Please do any dog x chicken introductions with dogs on leash and a fence between them & chickens. Dogs regard chicks as toys. They grab and chase them to make them squeak - the squeaking stops(dead bird) and they grab another and so on. They can massacre entire flocks in the blink of an eye. You never hear of Chickens killing a dog.

If your dog knows the command "leave it" then I would reinforce that from the first day you bring the chickens home. I was lucky, my dog those wet leave it means and responded to it immediately from the first day I had them in their little Btooder in the house. But I always made sure that it was covered. Dogs are dogs and even the best trained one can follow its instincts. As stated above, Elyse is a great thing, and make sure if your friends bring their dogs over but they are also on the leash. Or better yet just don't have other dogs there.
All your animals can live in peace. When my chickens were about half grown I walked outside to the scene one day. Ran back into get the camera.

Hi Amber,
welcome-byc.gif

Enjoy your new flock and if you have questions, feel free to ask. There's so much information available here and a lot of helpful, friendly members.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom