Newbie here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LivingCanvas, Apr 12, 2016.

1. LivingCanvas

LivingCanvas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Hey there! My name is Caitlyn. I've wanted chickens for a while but have finally taken the plunge. I picked up a total of 8 birds over the weekend. Some were born around 3/25 & the others were born a day or two before 4/9.

I've already suffered two losses & I'm devastated...wondering if I'm cut out for this endeavor. I've got a few friends who raise chickens & have been told that it's common to lose chicks but it doesn't make it any easier. [​IMG]
    But thanks for letting me onto the boards!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Caitlyn

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about your losses :hugs It can sometimes happen with new chicks I'm afraid. I'm sure you will be cut out for this. Many new keepers feel this way but things will be great. They are lots of fun and very rewarding too.

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

3. LivingCanvas

LivingCanvas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Thanks! After talking it over with my fiancé, he reminded me that the second one to pass wasn't thriving as much as the rest. She wasn't really eating or drinking, even though I'd put her beak into both. She would just stare at the wall & chirp. Actually, neither of the two babies that died were showing major signs of growth... I have been able to see noticeable differences with the others and it's only been a couple days.

Now, I'm just nervous because my welsummer is only a tiny bit bigger. She's much more active, eating & drinking with the rest of them.

I've got them in a 30gal tub with the ecoglow on one side & the food/water in the other so they've got space to move around. So I'm hoping that it's not something with my setup.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Caitlyn and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I agree with sentiments shared above - losses are almost inevitable when getting young chicks.

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by