Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MontanaGal, Mar 29, 2009.

1. MontanaGal

MontanaGal Chirping

Mar 29, 2009
    Montana
    Hi,

I am a newbie just entering the egg hatching world, and have 21 eggs incubating. I started them on March 20th, and have a serious question: I forgot to take out the little red stoppers (2 of them) on top of the incubator after 3 days.

I just realized it today, so have I killed my hatch or compromised them? What should I do? I took the red plugs out today, but am now wondering if I have ruined the hatching process.

Any pointers??

Thanks.

2. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    No way! you didnt kill them i have forgot the entire 21 days once you will be fine i always just take one out right off then the second out on the 18th day. good luck

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Welcome and best of luck

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hey welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Some of us didn't start hatching till we got here and got hooked by all of the other hatchaholics. My wife thinks it's a disease. [​IMG]

I smiled as she was telling her father on the phone about all of our chickens.

5. MontanaGal

MontanaGal Chirping

Mar 29, 2009
    Montana
    Thank you for that. I have been kicking myself all day, and then thought about looking for a forum, just like this.

This is a great site and lots of info. I know I am going to be a regular here, for sure.

Do most people just hatch chicks for their own use, or do people sell their chicks? Just wondering.

Thanks again. THAT is a load off of my mind. I thought they were doomed!

6. emit

emit In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    maybe I missed something but if I take the red plugs out my temp falls really down my humidity goes to nothing I regulate the temp. with a cloth over the view windows an the 4 little wholes in the top.

7. MontanaGal

MontanaGal Chirping

Mar 29, 2009
    Montana
    Hi,

I don't have a way to check the humidity. I just make sure I have water in there at all times. I should have bought a humidity meter, but I have one on my wall, does that count? [​IMG]

The humidity thing says we are normal, boy is that an understatement!

Anyway, hmm, the temperature is holding steady and I just added water, so I should be good, I hope.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by