Newbie here...

tulls422

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 20, 2007
Tampa Florida
I'm a newb to raising chicks. I purchased 2 Barred Rock pullets on Saturday (am I correct in calling them pullets? They are under a year old and they are indeed females). They will be a week old tomorrow. Anyway, I live in Tampa and have educated myself quite a bit. However, I am still learning as there is so much to know about properly caring for and raising these animals. My first two questions (and I'm sure there will be many, many more to come!) are:

Can I use aspen shavings in my brooder instead of pine? I have a ton of aspen as I've always favored aspen for our guinea pig, rats and other assorted creatures?

I was at the pet store today to get some 'other' pet supplies and walked by a fridge that had meal worms in it. I decided to get some for Feisty and Maddie. They LOVE them and we LOVE hand feeding them...meal worms are okay to feed them, right (I hope!)?

jumpy.gif

Meal worms are indeed wonderful treats for your birds. I would suggest raising them to have a ready supply it is not difficult. I can send you the information I copied if you are interested.

Pullets are female chickens less than a year old. You could probably get away with calling them hen too. LOL

I am not sure about aspen shavings. Usually hardwood shavings are discouraged because the oils in the wood are harmful. I don't think aspen is hardwood and if it does not bother the hamsters which are smaller, then I don't see why it would hurt. It depends on your setup and how much contact they actually have with the shavings anyway. Mine are outside all day everday and don't scratch in the coop at all.

LOL, Aspen are quite alright and are infact the bedding of choice for small animals. It is highly recomended with corncob as second recomeneded by the AGS (american Gerbil Society) as the least invasive natural bedding.

Kat

Meal worms are indeed wonderful treats for your birds. I would suggest raising them to have a ready supply it is not difficult. I can send you the information I copied if you are interested.

I would most definiately appreciate info. on raising meal worms, thank you!​

From what I remember from when we had our guinea pig, the aspen was supposed to be even better than pine because (supposedly) it gave off less dust and less fumes, so it was better for their respiratory tracts. My chicks seem to be fine with it too.

I appreciate all your responses. I figured Aspen would be okay as I was under the impression that it was the 'most healthy' of the wood shaving type of substrate.

I am going to start building a coop this weekend, but I'm not sure if I should build the tractor type as I would like it to be moveable....we'll see I guess.

Back
Top Bottom