newbie here

coffee_monkey

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
WA
Greeting to everyone. My family and I live in the puyallup valley in washington state. I am so glad I found this site. It is a wealth of info especially for those like myself who are new to chickens.
We have one chicken. My parents have many chickens and we borrowed two eggs to hatch for my son. One egg hatched and one never showed signs of life. As of January 18th, we have a little baby we call Mr. Fudge (until we find out if it is Mr. or Miss). The original idea was to take him back to grandma's when he was a month or so old but within the last few days everyone(my husband especially) has become very attached to Mr. Fudge. So, we are keeping him. Right now he/she is in a large cardboard box in my dining room.
The kids have donated a mirror and a stuffed skunk to keep him company.

Mr.Fudge is a mixed breed chicken. Its mommy is a rhode Is. red and its daddy is an araucana(did I spell that right).Any idea when I will know if its a boy or girl? He needs a friend for sure but to hatch or not to hatch? that is the question.
big_smile.png

Welcome coffee-monkey!

Most pullets will start laying anywhere from 20 to 28 weeks old. Their combs and waddles will start turning red shortly before they start to lay. Cockerels will make themselves known well before that for most breeds. Their combs and waddles may start to color up by just a few months old and they most often start crowing by 3 or 4 months, except for some of the slow maturing breeds.

Normally I'd say hatch more, but for instant companionship, Id call around and find a feed store with chicks and pick up a few pullet chicks. Introduce them carefully and watch Mr Fudge to make sure he doesnt peck them too much. A few pecks are normal to establish rank. If he is a little too agressive, just divide the box in half with a piece of chickenwire or hardware cloth, and let them get used to each other for a few days.

chel

thanks for the info. I have called and the feed stores here won't have chicks until next month they say and only then if there are enough requests. I am going to check in with grandma to see if she know anyone who might be able to help.

If it is going to be a month before you can buy any chicks....... then you might as well fire up the incubator and pop a few eggs in. LOL

chel

Back
Top Bottom