Newbie here

jessemxt

Hatching
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Hey guys and gals I have a single baby chicken and I am trying to take care of him/her but he seems to not want to eat and also he is moving kind of slow do you think he is sick I have some chick starter mix and water but all he does is stand around and beep any help would be great. P.S he does not seem to eat I dipped his beak in water and he drank I am just worried. I dont know how to post a pic

Last edited:
Is she warm enough?

Any idea how old she is?

What are you keeping her in?

How long has she gone without eating?

Where did you get her?/ How long have you had her? Why just one?

Pics would be great.

Keep your chin up, sounds like she's in good hands.

Ok I live on Maui and there is alot of chickens I was messing around outside and I kept hearing beep beep I looked down and there was a baby chick all by itself. I was cautious about grabbing it and I waited to see if the mother was around but nothing so I figured with the 60 degree nights she did not have a good chance so I grabbed her. I dont know how old she is I have been keeping her warm, She has pecked alittle bit but it has been about 2 days since I have had her and she looks pretty young.

Do you have a heat lamp ?!?!
do you have a sufficient box, they need to be at 95 deggrees for the first week so she needs a lamp (unless you have one in which case you can ignore the previous statment
lol.png
) she may be lonley, it seems kinda dumb, but she may just want a friend
roll.png

Can you guess how old it is? They do need to be kept warm initially. If you don't have a heat lamp, even a light bulb can add heat in a pinch.
Being flock animals, chickens do best with company. She is peeping a lot because she is lonely. Could you possibly get your hands on another chick or two of the same age?
Until then, close bodily contact with you should keep the crying to a minimum. Carrying a chick around all the time gets to be tiresome; once when I was in a similar situation I wore a hooded sweatshirt backwards and put the chick in the hood. It worked great!

Yes, you definately need a good draft free box with a heat lamp to keep her warm. A small stuffed toy to snuggle in and a mirror should also help so she doesn't think she is alone. But keep an eye out for a mother with babies the same age. Mama may spend a lot of time scratching around in the same area and if you could put the chick back in with her and she accept it, it would be best for the chick. Or, as mentioned, if you could find another chick or two of the same age to put in with her.

Hey Becky la you answered my next question I am going to try to get it back with the mother and thanks all of you for your help much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom