Newbie here!

kian

Songster
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Lancaster, CA
In both senses of the word: new to the forum and new to raising chickens. We had RIRs and Plymouth Rocks when I was growing up, so I have a little experience, but I didn't do much with them other than gathering the eggs and running from the roosters.

We bought eight 7 week old chicks two weeks ago, from a local ranch. Four New Hampshire Reds (Fiona, Sunny, Rose and Fern) and four Cuckoo Marans (Haw, Enox, Stella and Georgia). I bought older chicks for a few reasons: it's late enough to finally get the coop finished and the girls in, I'm sort of lazy/leery when it comes to the idea of brooding them myself (ignoring the extreme cuteness of the fluff balls), and I wanted to get some that were ready for the coop, but were still little enough to enjoy. Well we really enjoy these chicks!!

We have a nice attached run with the coop, but the goal is for them to free range (with supervision) when they get bigger. We live on about a 5th of an acre (regular suburban subdivison lot) in the High Desert near Los Angeles. We have a Great Pyrenees that doesn't seem to realize that he is bred to GUARD the chickens, not chase them/try to scare them to death/possibly eat them. They've gotten used to him already so it's a bit funny watching him freak out on the other side of the fence.

I'm very excited about learning more and sharing here!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom