Newbie ?? I have a creek that flows into the lake

tberggren

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Ithaca NY
about 1 mile away. If I get ducks will they all end up down on the lake??
I really would like to get some ducks and think I would like to get some SA.
Heard they like to stay close to home, but this creek thing has me worried.
Any thoughts??

How close is the creek to where you'd have them?

My neighbors have a large pond. My dogs have found it. The ducks have not.

As long as you have the most abundant food source you should win. It may not be a bad Idea to dig out that creek a little bit. Now I am in PA and it hasn't been above freezing for about 2 months now (other than a couple days). So you may want to wait for a few warmer days. You don't have to go crazy and go 8 feet down or anything, just a foot and a half to 2 feet should be plenty. Its just enough to let them dive and wash off. Have fun with your ducks!!

We have a creek too, but it just runs the length of the neighborhood. I started letting my 2 hang out there, the love it! After a few days of exploring, I found them almost to the neighbors house. I ended up putting up a 2' high plastic fence to keep them contained. but now they never go anywhere except for under the bridge, but I'm sure if I took the fence down, they would follow the creek a bit too far from home. And when Spring finally gets here, no amount of corn or peas(for my ducks anyway) will keep them from all the frogs they will find.

If I get aroung to it, I'll try to post pics, but I just stacked up rocks in the creekbed to come up to the level of the fencing. It's not at all permanent, but mine are lazy, and they don't seem to be too concerned with leaving the area.

I did think about putting up a fence across the creek, but what keeps them from just getting in the creek farther down the line?
The creek is only a 50 feet or so from the back of the house. And like I said the lake is only about a mile down the way. Also the creek carries some pretty fast moving water if we've had any recent rain. Would they avoid the fast water or wouldn't it faze them any??

Back
Top Bottom