newbie! I think I cooked the eggs in the bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kirataffy, Jul 4, 2008.

1. kirataffy

kirataffy New Egg

Jul 4, 2008
    I am completly new at this. I put my eggs in the incubator that was at a nice 102. I left, came back 2-3 hours later and discovered that the temperature was 118. The eggs were so hot to my hand. I turned the heater and cracked the lid. I have now got it to hold around 102, but I don't feel good about this.

Did I just cook my babies??? [​IMG]

Taffy in Southwest Florida

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    What day are you on?

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That sound very high~~you may have, but there are a lot of expert hatchers on here who should be more helpful than me. I had a problem because I didn't warm up and regulate/watch my incubator for a few days before placing my eggs in it. I read that new incubators fluctuate a lot for a while before their temperature settings "settle down?"

I hope someone else on here has some better suggestions for you....

Just Dont give up!! [​IMG]

And...[​IMG]

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yeah, you could have. I've had mine up to 110 for a couple of hours and for the most part had a good hatch but did have one chick born with no eyes and no upper beak. The only thing you can do at this point is to keep the temp to 99.5 and candle every few days to see what you have. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's pretty high but the only way to know for sure is to candle them in a few days and see if you can see any veining. It sounds like this happened the first day? If it did wait until at least day 7 to check them.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    What kind of bator do you have, still air or do you have a fan?
    Krista

7. kirataffy

kirataffy New Egg

Jul 4, 2008
    That was day one and Sunday will be day 4. My incubator is older and it is still air. The crank doesn't have numbers on it. You turn it slightly to play with the heater and use a thermometer to test.

I called the guy who gave me the eggs and he confirmed basically what you all said. It may have been damaging, maybe not. Wait and see. He said if they don't hatch, he will give me more.

The same day I took the egss, I also bought 2 chicks from the feed store. I am so in love, I can't stand myself.

Taffy

8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Wait 'til you hatch your own chicks! You'll be so in love that nobody else will be able to stand you either. [​IMG]

9. kirataffy

kirataffy New Egg

Jul 4, 2008
    [​IMG] ROFLMAO [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by