Newbie in AZ with questions...

D046113

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Ok so about 3 months ago a chicken showed up on my driveway... After a month of her making a mess all over the driveway we decided she is part of the family and built her a coop inside of a 10 X 6 dog run we had. Apparently she decided she was happy because she started to lay eggs almost immediately and lays 4 - 6 eggs every week now... Best we can tell she is older "Easter Egger" and lays a green colored egg (eggs are rough on the shell). After a few weeks we started to let her roam the yard during the day and keep her safe from the bad guys at night by closing her in her new dog run coop... She recently started to be somewhat aggressive with my wife, pecking her and being loud in general... Reading more and more it sounded like she was acting out because she is bored or lonely because she was on her own... So we looked around and finally decided to get a Red Star because they were listed as doing well in the AZ heat, are listed as being friendly, do well in confinement and have a good egg production... So we picked our little girl Ruby over the weekend... Now our old girl (we call her Chicken) is not happy at all... She screams almost non stop for the first 2 days (my wife works nights, she was less that pleased lol) and chases Ruby away from the food and water... Chicken is just flat out being mean... Is this normal will she calm down? I am now keeping ruby in the pen during the day and putting Chicken in the yard so they both have food and water but Chicken even trys to intimidate Ruby through the fence, and she does a good job of it... We are still learning about chickens and need some advice...

welcome-byc.gif
. And good luck, so sorry she is being snippy, I've never integrated before, hope someone else chimes in.

Thanks, I'm sure they will be ok but I want to make sure I do the best I can for them... New to this but they are already part of the family... Wife doesn't know how we did without them in the past... lol

Greetings from a fellow Arizonan and
welcome-byc.gif
Chickens are social animals and they prefer to be in groups, rather than alone. Sometimes when those groups are first formed there can be feisty interactions until they get their pecking order sorted out. Things will calm down soon. Personally, I'd get at least one more hen. Of course, if you hang around this place for very long, you'll be surprised at how many chickens you have.
smile.png
Be sure to stop in and say hello on our very active BYC AZ thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31227&p=1656

welcome-byc.gif

LIsten to Gallo. Three chickens is a flock, two chickens is a pecking contest.

Back
Top Bottom