Newbie in Central Illinois

ravynfyre

Hatching
Dec 20, 2015
Central Illinois
Greetings all! I'm new to posting to the forum, however, I've lurked and searched out answers to my questions here for several years. Had a question on peafowl that I couldn't find an answer to, so I figured it was time to officially join, introduce myself, and ask. On to the Intro!

First off, call me Ravyn.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I first got into chickens when I bought my hobby farm back in 2011. The farm came with some chickens, and I quickly added more. And then more. And then some more. And then other fowl... and on it goes.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have about 25 chickens right now. I also have 10 geese, 13 guinea fowl, 16 ducks, 5 peafowl, and 7 turkeys.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I've got a flock of 8 cream legbar (7 hens and a roo), two pairs of Svart Hona, an Ayam Cemani roo, three Welsummer hens, 4 easter egger hens, a trio of silkies (a bright ginger color), and a pair of Black Japanese Bantams.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I originally found BYC when I googled looking for general chicken info. I've lurked ever since because this is such a wonder fount of knowledge and information!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I train and handle search and rescue dogs. I also enjoy horseback riding. I sketch and paint and carve wood on occasion. I volunteer with and for the local zoo on occasion.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My animals are my family, but I have a *large* family. I've got three horses, seven sheep, four cats, seven dogs (two Belgian Malinois, two Great Pyrenees as livestock guardians, two Scottish Deerhound/Borzoi cross, and a Whippet), and the rest of my poultry. I was a firefighter for 12 years until an injury during a high angle rescue put me out of commission, so now I putter around my hobby farm and play with birds and critters.

That's me in a nutshell. :)

Hi Ravyn and thanks for the introduction - great to have you join us.

All the best

Ct

NIce to meet you Ravyn, glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock
wee.gif

Hi :welcome Ravyn

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely introduction, I've really enjoyed reading about you, your hobbies and all your critters. They all must keep you very busy!! Your little hobby form sounds fantastic and is something I'm aiming for in the future too.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Back
Top Bottom