Newbie in chicken land!

Welcome. My speckled sussex does not do well in the heat - she does great in the cold. With that said, she is the one I have to keep an eye on the most. I do not have your other breeds. Last summer, I froze half gallon jugs with water and laid them in the run. I also covered the part of my run that is not covered with a tarp, with shade cloth. This year I will also cover the chunnel with shade cloth. Keep waterers out of the sun - I do this, and add ice to waterers. Frozen treats are good, and I make watermelon a regular on hot days. As much shade and hydration as you can get would be good, especially with your heat. Also, ventilation and space is also important. Most people don't know that chickens do better in extreme cold weather than they do with extreme heat. Last year, when we had temps in the high 90's, I had to bring my Lucy (my speckled sussex) into the house. She was wobbly, despite my doing everything above.

Welcome. My speckled sussex does not do well in the heat - she does great in the cold. With that said, she is the one I have to keep an eye on the most. I do not have your other breeds. Last summer, I froze half gallon jugs with water and laid them in the run. I also covered the part of my run that is not covered with a tarp, with shade cloth. This year I will also cover the chunnel with shade cloth. Keep waterers out of the sun - I do this, and add ice to waterers. Frozen treats are good, and I make watermelon a regular on hot days. As much shade and hydration as you can get would be good, especially with your heat. Also, ventilation and space is also important. Most people don't know that chickens do better in extreme cold weather than they do with extreme heat. Last year, when we had temps in the high 90's, I had to bring my Lucy (my speckled sussex) into the house. She was wobbly, despite my doing everything above.
Thank you so much for the wisdom!! I wasn’t intending to get a speckled Sussex but they didn’t have the heat tolerant breeds I really intended and had read about! I will definitely be keeping an eye on her! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom