Newbie in Corvallis

quarkthestrange

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm new to Corvallis, OR and even newer to backyard chickens. I got a flock of 10 pullets and 1 rooster - all Wyandottes or Wyandotte crosses - last weekend. I've found lots of great information on this site, so thank you all!

I have a couple of questions, and this may not be the place to ask it, but here goes. First, my chickens have been here for 6 days now. They seem to come out of their coop very infrequently. I brought out kitchen scraps around 12pm, they came out and ate them and are now back in the coop. Is this normal? I used to live with chickens (not mine, and this was in sunny california) and they seemed to always be outside. These chickens spend, I'd say, no more than 2 hours outside a day.

Second is a Corvallis specific question. Does any one have any feed supply recommendations? I went to Wilco and bought Layena pellets, but people on here seem to think those are extremely pricey and should look around. I would love to find a local mill. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks for all the great info here!

Jenn

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'll try to answer your first question (since I'm not from around your area):

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

As Wyandottes has said above, it takes time for new birds to feel comfortable with their surroundings. So don't rush them to come out of the coop. This time spent in the coop also helps them know where home is along with feeling secure.

As for feed stores, buy where you are comfortable buying from. Always check the manufacture date on the tag or bottom of the bag and don't buy really cheap feed. Shy away from feed that is more than 3 months old. Know what you are buying and go to the store you can trust. And if you get a bag home and open it and it doesn't smell right or look right, (buggy, moldy or discolored,) take it back to the store for your money back. Bad feed can kill your birds.

Enjoy your new birds and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, you can go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. You may be surprised to find other chicken folk near you.

Chickens in a new environment will be unsure for a bit, be careful of preditors.. We have had haws, loose dog's and even kid's chase around our flock. Whenever they are out free ranging I am prepaired with a bat or a rake.. Our frontyard is enclosed but you just never know. Most dog's like chicken for dinner..

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Wyandottes7 asked about the weather and it has been as beautiful as an Oregon winter can be this last week. But, it sounds like they are just getting used to their surroundings, so I'm not going to worry just yet. We have been getting eggs so that's a good sign. I just went to a bbq and someone actually recommended a good feed supply called Mosaics in Philomath if anybody out there has the same question.

Thanks again all! Glad to be here.

Back
Top Bottom