Newbie in Florida saying hello and has questions

AthenaT

Chirping
Mar 11, 2015
Port Richey Florida
Hello everyone My name is Athena and I live in the Tampa Bay area. I rescued a chicken over 9 months ago and she has been a wonderful pet. I had given up on eggs and decided she was a non crowing "transgender" rooster and the very next day she layed her first egg. $ days later I purchased 3 very over priced pullet hens. a RIR with "crooked neck" a Easter egger and a one Eyed 'something"? Both The RIR attacked me badly when I attempted to handle her to clip her wing....and she and the easter egger escaped into the swamp next to our property never to be seen again . I had NO idea chickens could fly over a 8 foot chain link fence. I was heart broken (and I was out $50 for those 2 hens). My original Chicken Sookie is like a puppy she come when I call her and jumps in my lap tor pets when I am out having coffee. The remaining "new chicken" the one eyed "Arlene tamed down very well but no eggs from her yet (she is a young chicken. 2 days ago I went to buy 2 more hens but ended up with 6 because the person did not want to have to buy anymore feed. He said he had been out for 2 days but I think it was much longer because they are "rangey" and very thin. I can feel sharp breast bones and holy molly they are eating a lot of feed. All six had also been housed in a coop/run smaller than a twin bed ....My coop for one chicken was over 4 times the size and mine are out running in our yard most everyday. I have no idea yet what breeds the 6 are they are a mixed flock. I hope to find lots of answers on this site to care for my pet chickens and hope they will lay good eggs...I can not eat anything I have named ( they are all named now) so they will live pampered lives. I did check them for signs or mites or diseases and none are obvious.A friend also helped me check for age by me sending pictures of legs ect and she thinks they are youngish. I will be building a larger easier to clean coop and pen shortly Thank you in advance for all your help

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a wonderful heart to take in these chickens! I am sorry about the two that flew the coop. Yes, they have wings and fly well. But how could you know?! These things happen.

However you have come to the right place for all the fun and learning!! I can't eat my babies either. They are all extended parts of my family now.
smile.png
They love to lap sit and follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies.

You might start in our learning center. There are lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new birds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have any further questions along the way, feel free to ask around in the forums.

Enjoy this new adventure with your birds and we do welcome you to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new flock! Sounds like they are happy to have a new home!

Back
Top Bottom