Newbie in LA

Angela Herzog

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
My husband and I are getting our coop and run ready for 4 Americauna chicks. The temperature outside is pretty warm here. We are not sure if they will need the heat lamp. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. We look forward to having fresh eggs soon. If anyone has any tips or encouragement, we would welcome them. Thank you.

:welcome so glad you have joined us. And congrats on getting your own flock.

Heat or not depends on how old they are, how their feathering has advanced and the ambient temps you are experiencing.

If they are 5-6 weeks old, have feathered well and your nights are around 70 or over, then you won't need a heat lamp.

:welcome
If the chicks are very young, then I think you should still put the heat lamp up just to be safe. But maybe not as close to them as you normally would. :)

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Yes, it definitely depends on your temps and ages of the chicks. You might get away with no heat lamp during the day but will probably need one at night.

Good luck on this new adventure and welcome to our roost! :)

Welcome Angela, I'm new here as well.
I live in central Alabama so our climate is somewhat similar. What I did with my chicks was to watch the weather temps and go from there. When it was mid 60's or above I would turn off the light during the day once the chicks were feathered. I would turn it on again towards evening. I kept my brooder in one of our storage sheds. As the temps began to rise you would see the chicks huddle up as far away from the lamp as they could get. I would turn off the light and place a small fan blowing in their general direction. Seemed to work for me. Make sure they have plenty of food and fresh water. I would check/change their water 3 times a day. Hope this helps y'all.

Back
Top Bottom