Newbie in NC

Is it okay to have a bantam rooster in with 'regular sized' hens -- I truly only want one rooster and thought about getting one of those teeny-tiny ones --

You should have no problem mixing your breeds as long as you don't mind mixed up chicks in the spring.
roll.png
Seriously though if you do plan to hatch a few you can. You just may get some strange results.

Chickens are not picky, & believe it or not they don't count very well. So if you play your cards right you can start with a couple of older birds & add as many as you like.

If it were me - this late in the season - I'd get a few adult birds & let them hatch their own in the spring (provided you get a breed that goes broody).​

Welcome to the boards! The local breeder here in Holly Springs (just south of Raleigh) has some that are in the 7 to 9 week old range.

We've been buying those from him (keep going back for more, imagine that), and hopefully they'll be big enough to put out this year yet. Coop planning/construction is underway, but for now they are indoors.

Thank you, Jestre -

Nice to know there is a reliable hatchery not too far away --

I think, with the cool spell we are having, I am going to start with two or three pullets from a friend for whom we 'chicken-sat' this summer -- these have been outside from the time they were hatched and are nearly grown now --

It will be fun to add some chicks in the spring!

Good luck with your coop and the chicks -- my chicken house is still a work-in-progress and it's getting way BIGGER than I thought it would be -- hope it is finished in the next few weeks -- two builders are working on it most every day --

SueR

welcome-byc.gif

If you want to get full grown chickens or chicks this time of year the only place I know of other than a breeder is farmers feed and seed. The address and phone is 311 N Main St Kernersville, NC 27284 Phone: (336) 993-2116 We bought some chickens there a few weeks ago and they were all healthy.

When I went there they had about 50 full grown laying chickens for sell and bantams to. And said they would be getting more every few weeks.

Good Luck,

Matt

Main Street, Kernersville is not far from us -- haven't been in the feed store there in years but it used to be one of our favorites --
I will be checking it out!
Thank you!

SueR

Welcome! It's great to see others from NC on here! I'm just south of Albemarle, NC - about an hour east of Charlotte. I would suggest getting a few silkies, or at least a silkie roo. They are bantams and look like poofy lawn ornaments and are extremely curious and silly. If you want a silkie roo, I have a few that are looking for homes, and you can have your choice. If you want one and can come pick him up, he's free!

My only major bit of advice, chickens are addictive! So are ducks, but that's another story, lol.

I was supposed to only get four hens, one for each family member. Well, the hatchery got my order mixed up and I ended up with 50 from them, plus 13 others (silkie, bantam cochin, and sultan). I've sold down to 12 girls and 17 boys. I have way too many boys, and I'm willing to give them away to those who will take care of them. I have silkie and americauna boys needing homes.

Again, welcome!!!
Emily in NC

Hi and WELCOME!

We're in Harnett county NC, and just started chickens in July. We only wanted a couple... now we have 5 and want to breed in the spring. We are already building a second coop and wish we got bigger in the first place...

its like Lay's... you can't have just 1... or 2... or 3... or....

edited to add: SILKIES ARE EVIL AND WILL SUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! (But do it so cutely!)

Last edited:
Goodness, there are lots of 'chicken folks' here in NC!
Thank you for the kind welcome to the BYC Forum -- I have learned SO much already!

I am trying to heed the warnings about 'Chicken Addiction' (at least we have enough people around here for a 'support group!)

Thank you, Emily, for the offer of the Silkie-Boy --- if you still have 'extras' when my chicken-house is finally finished, I'll be over to pick up one --
question about Silkies, tho? Is is safe to ever let them do the 'free-ranging' thing during the day -- can they 'see' thru all that fluff???

SueR

Some of my girls have a little trouble seeing what is a distance away from them, and once in a while will run into the fence (they're usually being chased by a boy when that happens though). They can see what is close to them and can see enough to eat, free range, and find where they need to go. The boys don't have as poofy heads, so they can see fine.

Here are a few pictures of them:

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

Enjoy!
Emily

Welcome to the boards! The local breeder here in Holly Springs (just south of Raleigh) has some that are in the 7 to 9 week old range.

Jestre,
That sounds like the nursery where we got our chicks, too. We are not far from Garner.​

Back
Top Bottom