Newbie in Rockingham Virginia

I’m a physician and mom living in Rockingham County, Virginia. Brand new to chickens but want to jump in (except when I messaged my neighbors a friendly heads-up, one sent her husband to tell us to check the zoning laws. Not sure if that was friendly or unfriendly help).
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm totally new. Had to get over a minor fear of birds (from, naturally, watching The Birds at an impressionable age).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I've ordered 6 chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Buff Orpington, Silver laced wyandotte (I wanted golden but procrastinated while wheedling with hubby and they rand out), and Plymouth barred rock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Eggs, sustainability.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Rose gardening, needlepoint/knitting, horse riding, reading everything, home decor, cooking especially world cuisine, Marvel, and going to live theater/musicals/ballet.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
One son in college in Alaska, one son in 4th grade. Three dogs - a Shiba Inu for the Japan-loving small child and two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels for me.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Yay, google.

Welcome! Good luck with the neighbors.

I wondering how soon you might figure out if they are friendly or unfriendly towards your new hobby..

We were not sure how our neighbors might react. Our township has an ordinance so we made certain that we followed it closely in case someone takes issue.....

So do you have chicken yet or still in the research phase?

Hello! Welcome! I'm new too and I've got a young flock, two of my chickens are about 4 months old and the other five are about 2 months old. I live in close quarters with my neighbors in northern Illinois where we are very urban (I'm only about 35 mins from Chicago if that gives you any idea) and I have had no problems with any of my neighbors! As long as you are within zoning laws then it should be alright. We built our coop from scratch while the chicks were still young and living inside. Now they are all outside and they are happy! They stay in their coop while we are all at work/school and come out to free range while we are home to supervise. Chickens are a delight and I wish the best for you!

Looks like we were typing at the same time.

Do you have your coop built or planned out yet?

are you on property or in a city/subdivision?
Hi and welcome to BYC. Here are some links that may be helpful:

Best wishes

Pork Pie
I'm in Rockingham County, Virginia, outside of Harrisonburg. I'm in a subdivision, but there is no active HOA. My online search has been confusing regarding the county rules - I'm listed as R1, but nearby neighbors who have cows behind their house in a large field are listed as R2 per the map. The adjoining county has backyard chickens by permit, and two of the towns in my county have the same (Dayton and Harrisonburg). It's a pretty rural area with lots of farms, so I'm surprised if they don't allow it.

I already pulled the trigger on an order because the chicks were becoming unavailable, but I guess I could cancel or give them away if necessary. I also ordered an Omlet mobile coop, as being the easiest to clean and the most aesthetic for a mobile one for our Fancy People neighborhood. We have an acre with a large backyard so should be easy to keep them away from the neighbords.

Hello! Welcome! I'm new too and I've got a young flock, two of my chickens are about 4 months old and the other five are about 2 months old. I live in close quarters with my neighbors in northern Illinois where we are very urban (I'm only about 35 mins from Chicago if that gives you any idea) and I have had no problems with any of my neighbors! As long as you are within zoning laws then it should be alright. We built our coop from scratch while the chicks were still young and living inside. Now they are all outside and they are happy! They stay in their coop while we are all at work/school and come out to free range while we are home to supervise. Chickens are a delight and I wish the best for you!
It's so weird to me - I moved to rural Virginia from Seattle, where our very dense neighborhood (which bordered downtown) permitted chickens and we used to pass by a coop that was right against the sidewalk. The boys loved watching the chickens on our way to and from the park. Will be odd if it's MORE restrictive in the country!

It's so weird to me - I moved to rural Virginia from Seattle, where our very dense neighborhood (which bordered downtown) permitted chickens and we used to pass by a coop that was right against the sidewalk. The boys loved watching the chickens on our way to and from the park. Will be odd if it's MORE restrictive in the country!
I'm sure you will be alright! If your neighbors are nitpicky just bribe them with some eggs:p

Back
Top Bottom