Newbie in Silicon Valley, CA

Masonfamily

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
California
Hello,

Great site. After A LOT of research and talking it over with the kids, we are going to build our own chicken coop and get 4 egg laying chickens. My kids are 11, 9, 6, 3 and 6 months old. 1 chicken for each kid and in a couple years we'll get another chicken for the youngest when he is old enough. We'll make this an 'end of summer' build project with the kids, they are home schooled. We will also make them research each one of their chickens as part of their homeschooling homework. Coop wise it will be 4x8 with 5 beds. I will have a 'yard' for the chickens that is 15x35. Forgot to mention I live on 1.75 acres with an orchard of 40+ fruit trees. I think the chickens will like the orchard. I plan to free range. May need some advice in that area.

I have posted some general questions already, but wanted to introduce myself. Once we kick off and start building, I will take pics and post.

This site is great for research and ideas. I've really enjoyed looking around and reading through the forums. It has really helped out.

Darin

Greetings from Kansas, Darin, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Sounds like your chickens will have it made. Careful with free ranging, though...be prepared to lose birds at some point. Good luck to you!

Ummm...with kids I don't think it would be too good to loose a chicken! Could be traumatic for them to loose a chicken. I'll probably keep them in the chicken yard for a while.

welcome-byc.gif
It's usually best to make the coop larger than you think you'll need. Chicken addiction hits hard and fast. Otherwise you'll be putting on addition or building a second coop.

If you mean 5 nest boxes - 1 or 2 is plenty for 4 hens. Hens like to use the same nest box and will often line up, or fight others off the nest to do so. Some even lay eggs on top of the present occupant. That's chickens for you. They somehow feel the one being used is special, even if the other boxes are identical.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Allowing for 4 square feet of space in the coop per bird, you have room for up to 8 birds, as long as you don't use floor space for nest boxes. I agree that for 4 birds you really only need one or two boxes.

As far as one bird per kid, one of the lessons that keeping animals has to teach them is losses - you will certainly loose at least a few birds over time, especially if you free-range them. It is not a bad idea to have a secure pen for them for times when you can't be around to keep an eye on the birds.

Back
Top Bottom