Newbie in Western PA

Hello all!
I'm Jo and I live in Western PA. My husband, 3 year old son, and I live on a little over an acre. We've been working on setting up the perfect coop in preparation for a small flock. My father raised large flocks growing up and I sure do miss the fresh eggs and joy that chickens bring. We originally planned on brooding chicks from the farm store, but I'm thinking I'd rather adopt some older ladies that need a good home. I've been scouting these forums looking for advice and I'm so happy to have so many experienced people to learn from!

Welcome to backyard Chickens

G’Day from down under Jo :frow Welcome!

This link may help you Find Your State Thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two may be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

This is a great article: How Much Room Do Chickens Need

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

Hello all!
I'm Jo and I live in Western PA. My husband, 3 year old son, and I live on a little over an acre. We've been working on setting up the perfect coop in preparation for a small flock. My father raised large flocks growing up and I sure do miss the fresh eggs and joy that chickens bring. We originally planned on brooding chicks from the farm store, but I'm thinking I'd rather adopt some older ladies that need a good home. I've been scouting these forums looking for advice and I'm so happy to have so many experienced people to learn from!

Hi Jo! Are you in NWPA by any chance? I know a lady who is having to rehome all of her animals due to a tragedy. She has 8 month old Golden Comments, many other bantams, and roosters.

Hi Jo! Are you in NWPA by any chance? I know a lady who is having to rehome all of her animals due to a tragedy. She has 8 month old Golden Comments, many other bantams, and roosters.
That's awful news! :(I'm sort of central west, in Beaver County. But the northwestern most part of the state is still only a couple hours drive away. If you know her location I'd definitely love to look into giving some of her girls a good home!

Back
Top Bottom