Newbie intro - looking for feedback

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The portable coop isn't big enough for 12 LF birds.
Thanks for the feedback. The chickshaw is for sleeping, laying and travelling only and is 100 sq ft. They're not meant to hang in there permanently and I intend on having them in the run as much as possible. My understanding is that the chickshaw is designed for up to 24 birds in this system. Am I off on that?

Thanks for the feedback. The chickshaw is for sleeping, laying and travelling only and is 100 sq ft. They're not meant to hang in there permanently and I intend on having them in the run as much as possible. My understanding is that the chickshaw is designed for up to 24 birds in this system. Am I off on that?
Welcome to BYC!
Honestly, the more room the better. You need about 12" per bird on the roost. They will all want to be on the top roost, so there will be always be some fighting. I try to take into account how much room they have to fly down off the roosts too. Up until this last year, I didn't care about how much room they had in floor space, but the big snow storm here (in Texas) showed me a thing or two. I was glad that I had space inside and covered space outside.
You may want to consider building some outside covering. Hawks are a real problem here. We also have torrential rains. I feel like having a covered run is a necessity, even though mine free range most days.
Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom