Newbie Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Apopka Cluckers, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Hello,

I have been reading these forums for answers to various questions for a few months now. I just decided to finally make an account and try to contribute where ever I can.

My wife and I have three children. Two daugthers aged 9 and 10 and an autistic son age 8 who keeps us young:) We have three dogs living on the property with us. They are all great pyrenees which include an 11 year old female that I rescued and two 12 week old puppies that we just got for the girls. We live in central Florida.

A friend and I just finished my first coop. It is 10X10 but I still need to make a run for them and install a roost and laying boxes. My girls and boys are still young so the laying boxes are still a couple of months out so the next step is going to be the roost. I can't wait to start reading up on that part in these forums. I have 5 hens and 3 roosters in that coop and I am getting all kinds of different advice from people around about those roos. Hopefully, I can get some good information to decide how best to care for my little group of birds.

Everyone here is so knowledgeable and you all have really great ideas.

I will try to post some pictures of the group and of the coop a little later on.

Patrick

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] You will find everyone very helpful on here! [​IMG]

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome,

Sounds like you know where you are going already,

You will really enjoy everything you learn here,

Jena.

5. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

And just something to think about...I also built my nest boxes later on thinking I had plenty of time. I took my girls almost a week to realize those big huge scary nest boxes were not out to get them!

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

7. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Jena,

Sounds like I know what I'm doing? Woooo, I'm a good actor. My wife laughed so hard when I looked at one of my hens and asked what that red thing was growing on her head lol. I quickly checked here and found out what a comb was and that she was not a she [​IMG]

This forum has been such a great help. I knew nothing about chickens and I must admit that I still don't know anything more than the very very basics.

Sunnydee,

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll get to work on it soon. I have a couple days off this week and that should be good enough to build something for the girls.

8. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Your very welcome! I learned from experience that any change in their coop will freak them out for days!

When mine got a little bigger, I changed from a floor feeder to a much bigger hanging kind. They didn't eat their feed for over a week!

So just to for warn you...when you make changes..they WILL notice and WILL protest!

Good luck with your chickens! They are a great addition to any backyard!

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Good luck with the 3 roosters. I have 2 roosters and ended up making a bachelor pad for one of mine.

10. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Hi I'm also brand new to BYC but have had assorted animals most of my life. I started reading a few days ago and I'm also amazed at the number of people who are as kooky as I am about my birds![​IMG] This is fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by