Newbie looking for advice.

suzannesparks

Chirping
May 8, 2021
So we just got 3 laying hens who came from a place where they free ranged 100% of the time. We plan to have a secure run, and two enclosed paddocks to rotate them on. We also have a chicken tractor, and will let them free range when we are able to be outside to supervise(we have a lot of birds of prey, and flower gardens). Am I awful for taking this birds from complete freedom and keeping them enclosed most of the time?

So we just got 3 laying hens who came from a place where they free ranged 100% of the time. We plan to have a secure run, and two enclosed paddocks to rotate them on. We also have a chicken tractor, and will let them free range when we are able to be outside to supervise(we have a lot of birds of prey, and flower gardens). Am I awful for taking this birds from complete freedom and keeping them enclosed most of the time?
You are not awful. They will have to acclimate. Give them as much space as you can in their enclosed run. I would not want to put them in a tiny 30 sq ft run and call that good enough.

If you have birds of prey, then you are doing the right thing. To move the chickens around with a chicken tractor is great. Give them some fun foods like watermelon to keep them busy and happy.

Keeping them alive and safe is far from being "awful." You are being responsible;. Animals are far more adaptable to new circumstances than we often expect. As long as they are well fed, able to forage and move about, I suspect they will be perfectly content. Freedom, I think, is more a human concept than an avian one.

Keeping them alive and safe is far from being "awful." You are being responsible;. Animals are far more adaptable to new circumstances than we often expect. As long as they are well fed, able to forage and move about, I suspect they will be perfectly content. Freedom, I think, is more a human concept than an avian one.
Thanks so much. My dad keeps saying the same thing, as long as there is food they are happy.

Will they try to fly over?

Some do, some don't.

My California White flies over the 48" fence when she feels like it but never goes far from the flock. The others only go out when strongly motivated -- usually by being badly frightened.

I don't think that the Light Brahma could do it even if I offered her an exclusive on Dubia roaches to make the attempt. I haven't seen her get more than 18" off the ground since she got old enough to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom