Newbie looking into meat chickens this Spring

I was planning on doing CX but was hoping to raise them all together. I'm aware of the hot and cold sensitivity which got me thinking of splitting them doing broilers first then jump into eggers which is still an option. Do you have any recommendations for slow growth broilers. My plan was Rhode Island and Plymouth rock as eggers.I am just not well versed in broilers much. This would be our first year doing broilers.Any knowledge is welcomed. I raised chickens throughout my high-school years but never for meat.
Check out Freedom Ranger hatchery - they have an awesome selection. The Freedom Ranger and it's varieties are popular, Sasso, as are a number of the slow growth (3m) broilers. My next order is going to be their White Slow Growth broilers (more hearty CX sort of) and the New Hampshire dual purpose that they sell. That strain of NH is optimized for meat production and dual purpose, so limited health issues. I'm excited to try it.

I've tried CX from Welp hatchery, which were great, but still, CX. I've also tried Murray McMurray's ginger broilers and was less than happy. The growth rate is decent, but they turned out about 2/3 the size of 2m old CX, and all my roos have turned mean, and the biggest hen that I saved back is a poor layer. We'll see how my second generation of those turns out. They're not meant to be bred, but gen 2 has been big enough to please me so far. If you search on this site, a lot of folks have tried a lot of chickens and shared their experiences. Search "slow growth broiler" or "3 month broiler". Best way to know what works for you is try some and see.

Check out Freedom Ranger hatchery - they have an awesome selection. The Freedom Ranger and it's varieties are popular, Sasso, as are a number of the slow growth (3m) broilers. My next order is going to be their White Slow Growth broilers (more hearty CX sort of) and the New Hampshire dual purpose that they sell. That strain of NH is optimized for meat production and dual purpose, so limited health issues. I'm excited to try it.

I've tried CX from Welp hatchery, which were great, but still, CX. I've also tried Murray McMurray's ginger broilers and was less than happy. The growth rate is decent, but they turned out about 2/3 the size of 2m old CX, and all my roos have turned mean, and the biggest hen that I saved back is a poor layer. We'll see how my second generation of those turns out. They're not meant to be bred, but gen 2 has been big enough to please me so far. If you search on this site, a lot of folks have tried a lot of chickens and shared their experiences. Search "slow growth broiler" or "3 month broiler". Best way to know what works for you is try some and see.
Thank you thank you. Keep me updated how you like the NH after you try them out.

Back
Top Bottom