Newbie - Looking to fix up old coop and add run

Definitely not done yet, but have made some really good progress thus far - thanks to all for suggestions and advice.

I'm picking up my first group of momma plus her 6 chicks on Sat. We have another nest pending hatching that I'll pick up when they hatch as well. So at this point just trying to get the coop secured tightly.

Attachments

• 20200720_175634.jpg
    20200720_175634.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200720_175709.jpg
    20200720_175709.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200720_175716.jpg
    20200720_175716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200721_191814.jpg
    20200721_191814.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Nice job cleaning up that coop.....and great run!
Is the run roof sloped for rain runoff?
Probably an optical illusion that it looks flat and level.

Thanks all! Still have some work to do to have it completely ready, but the vast majority can be done with the chicks and momma in the coop/run while I work.

Yes, the roof is sloped slightly, optically it is difficult to see as the ground slopes the opposite way a little bit. Should be good enough for central NC as we do not get much in the way of snow. Maybe the rare dusting.

Yes, the roof is sloped slightly, optically it is difficult to see as the ground slopes the opposite way a little bit.
Hopefully not enough for roof runoff to flow into run.

Should be good enough for central NC as we do not get much in the way of snow.
You can get massive rainfalls tho.

Still, heck of a nice run!

Hopefully not enough for roof runoff to flow into run.

You can get massive rainfalls tho.

Still, heck of a nice run!

Yea... I guess we will find out! I really hope not because it really levels off right around the coop, but it is a risk I suppose. It was the best spot to put the run given where the coop is, plus it is mostly shaded, which is a huge plus here in hot, hot, hot NC.

Thanks so much! I think the chickens will enjoy it especially once I put in some fun log roosts, the automatic watering system and some toys.

Thanks all! Still have some work to do to have it completely ready, but the vast majority can be done with the chicks and momma in the coop/run while I work.

Yes, the roof is sloped slightly, optically it is difficult to see as the ground slopes the opposite way a little bit. Should be good enough for central NC as we do not get much in the way of snow. Maybe the rare dusting.
Your lucky no snow i live in Northern Ohio and winter sucks you probably get rain though i would put gutters on the run and put a rain barrel under it water you flock for free

It was the best spot to put the run given where the coop is, plus it is mostly shaded, which is a huge plus here in hot, hot, hot NC.

I don't know about your part of NC, but I should have a "cool" day to work with the chickens on Friday when I'm off work -- "only" 88 or so. ;)

Pine straw is a great resource for keeping chickens' feet relatively dry during a winter wet spell -- water tends to pass through it rather than soaking it.

I don't know about your part of NC, but I should have a "cool" day to work with the chickens on Friday when I'm off work -- "only" 88 or so. ;)

Pine straw is a great resource for keeping chickens' feet relatively dry during a winter wet spell -- water tends to pass through it rather than soaking it.

Haha yes.. this blasted heat wave. We worked on the chicken coop/run all day Saturday and Sunday through the heat advisory. :( It's been averaging 92 all week lately.

Plan is to use the deep litter method with wood chips from the local tree trimming companies in the chicken run and pine shavings in the coop. They just dropped off a very large pile yesterday, which I now have to haul out to the coop. From what I read, that seems to work well overall.

Back
Top Bottom