Newbie - Need Coop Flooring Help

Thanks to all especially you dawn. That was a great informative link.
I am saving this to my favorites for future reference.
We are hopefully starting the coop next week. It is one of our bigger projects and I hope to have at least 3 divisions to keep all my expected babies seperate by breed and/or size. (Thank goodness I have a handy hubby who happens to love doing all my projects.) I do keep him busy.

You are so welcome, 2dream! Your coop sounds wonderful!

I wish our coops were bigger, but we've used smaller ones as they will be easier to move one day (currently renting our mini-farm). Skip/doc_gonzo and I will be building a small brooder coop this weekend, will take pix of what we come up with. It should prove to be interesting as he has his ideas and I have some of my own.
gig.gif

Dawn

Hi, 2dream.

I do the tarp/cup hook thing in my approx. 8X8 chicken house - it works out great! I made sure to use plastic-coated cup hooks to avoid inadvertent scratches/cuts. Have been using the same tarp since June - no tears, no problems. (I have only 3 chix - more might make a difference in how well a tarp holds up.) I would not hose it off unless it was a huge mess, 'cause unless dried first, that would make the fresh bedding damp. I just carry it to the compost pile, dump the dirty straw, scrape off any chunks and if weather permits, air it in the sun for a little while before filling with fresh straw.

I have cheap linoleum and use sand for bedding. It works well in my climate and I clean it several times a week by scooping the poop , just like in a cat box. This has cut down my cost alot, because I don't have to replace the bedding as often. All the waste goes directly into the compost bin, which lives in the run.

I use OSB board painted barn white, paint is animal safe paint you can pic up cheap at Home depot.

under the OSB board I used old closet doors, the sliding type as add flooring. Since The size of my coop is 6X8' four of the doors fit perfectly as a subflooring.

Famer Mack
cool.png

I had enough good quality vinyl flooring left from my mud room and tacked it down around and it is just fine, junk just scrapes right off. Risnes off easily also. And it is a pretty color too.

jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom