Newbie needing advice!

BirdLady

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
Hi all : )

I recently moved to a home with a decent amount of land and want to keep chickens. I know NOTHING about chickens and the chickens I would want to get would more or less be pets with benefits (fresh eggs!)

I was thinking about getting a pre-designed coop to fit 2-3 chickens that can be moved into my garage in the winter to protect against any extreme cold and predators (we have foxes and coyotes among other things).

Any and ALL advice is welcome.

PS: Any info on good beginner breeds would be great!

-Kat (From Southwestern CT)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for answers!
My first suggestion: do what I did and read as many of the related topics in previous posts as you have time for, I am learning a lot that way!
wink.png

It's so exciting isn't it? I have learned more here in the last couple of day's than from anywhere else!

If you are interested, there are two books I found really helpfull. (I work in a bookstore, so I get one on everything!)

title: Keep Chickens by barbara Kilarski ISBN:1-58017-491-4

title: Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow ISBN: 1-58017-325-X

Both have been really helpful to me!!! I Keep a small flock of four, but trust me hanging out here will make you want to EXPAND!!!

Congrats!!
lol.png

Hi there! There's another book that helped me out when I got my girls. It's Living with Chickens by Jay Rossier and I got it at Central Tractor. It has everything you want to know in it plus!!!

BirdLady, welcome to BYC. For starters you can go on the home page here for alot of good information. Raising chickens 101 is a good place to start. Good Luck.

bigzio

Welcome...I am a newbie too, came to the world of chickens a month or so ago as a joke from friends!! I love my birds now..I own 4. I knew nothing and just researched, read what I could, and found all the pics that I could to make it move smoother! The chicks most important thing is keeping them warm and as they get bigger it's giving them attention or seems to be the most important thing for my chickens~!!

Back
Top Bottom