Newbie needing help quickly please!

Best of luck. We can only do the best we can in any circumstance. Can you get a neighbour, friend or family member to come give you a hand? Sometimes even moral support is helpful, or to pass you things or help hold her while you examine.
Thanks, moral support is what I need. Had a big cry thinking that I might be letting her down and then rolled up my sleeves and created her an enclosure within the coop, so at least she won't be pecked at. Still haven't 'explored' yet, but am going to ask my nephew to come round to see if he can hold her for me while I do.

Thanks, moral support is what I need. Had a big cry thinking that I might be letting her down and then rolled up my sleeves and created her an enclosure within the coop, so at least she won't be pecked at. Still haven't 'explored' yet, but am going to ask my nephew to come round to see if he can hold her for me while I do.
That's a good idea about the pen. Sometimes a cry helps too! Go get your big girl underwear on and get stuck in to sorting it! You are doing great. Hope your nephew helps because 4 hands are better than 2!

It easy enough to feel if one is stuck by feeling inside the vent, not the abdomen between the legs below the vent.
So it will be quite obvious (to someone without a clue) if there is an egg stuck when I feel inside the vent? And is there an easy way to do it???

This is the latest photo. She's messy again, but I don't think that a prolapse is the problem...is it?

Attachments

• 20200909_160131.jpg
    20200909_160131.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 13
No problem. I know how hard it is to have to crack on with something on your own.

Don't worry, you won't have hurt her giving her a bath. She flapped out because she panicked is all. If she lay there passively instead of fighting, then that would be much more concerning. Take a bit of feistiness as a good sign!

That last pic doesn't look like a prolapse although they can pop in and out. If it is (and not clear from the pic before) then it looks small and potentially fixable. Trimming the butt feathers will help keep her clean until it is sorted.

I don't know if this is a reproductive, intestinal, disease or physiological problem. I'm no expert and the experts have given you some really good advice here. What does your instinct tell you is wrong? Sometimes that is the best thing to listen to when there are too many possibilities to consider.

Is she eating and drinking OK?

So it will be quite obvious (to someone without a clue) if there is an egg stuck when I feel inside the vent? And is there an easy way to do it???

This is the latest photo. She's messy again, but I don't think that a prolapse is the problem...is it?
The only way to feel inside the vent is to feel inside about 1-2" if you feel something hard, there's an egg. If it's a soft shelled egg, then you may not feel that.
Looks like she's leaking poop(?).
Have you seen her poop?

No problem. I know how hard it is to have to crack on with something on your own.

Don't worry, you won't have hurt her giving her a bath. She flapped out because she panicked is all. If she lay there passively instead of fighting, then that would be much more concerning. Take a bit of feistiness as a good sign!

That last pic doesn't look like a prolapse although they can pop in and out. If it is (and not clear from the pic before) then it looks small and potentially fixable. Trimming the butt feathers will help keep her clean until it is sorted.

I don't know if this is a reproductive, intestinal, disease or physiological problem. I'm no expert and the experts have given you some really good advice here. What does your instinct tell you is wrong? Sometimes that is the best thing to listen to when there are too many possibilities to consider.

Is she eating and drinking OK?
To be honest, I'm still so new at all this that I just don't know. She's obviously fed up - and doesn't want me anywhere near her now - but has been eating and I've seen her drink a little bit. She was scratting around quite happily earlier today before I started messing with her, and ran to see me with the others when they thought I was bearing gifts, but she's also doing a lot of sitting and standing around looking fed up. It is a worry when there are so many possibilities though and I don't have any of the things people have been suggesting giving her to hand. I'm also mad nervous about checking her vent! I can definitely trim her butt feathers though.

Ok, what do you or don't you have to hand that have been recommended and perhaps we can help you work out alternatives. When can you get to a store?

The only way to feel inside the vent is to feel inside about 1-2" if you feel something hard, there's an egg. If it's a soft shelled egg, then you may not feel that.
Looks like she's leaking poop(?).
Have you seen her poop?
She keeps looking like she's straining to poop (or lay???) and her 'insides come outside a bit' while she's doing it - if that makes sense. There's leaking poop, but that's all I've seen her do for the last two days now. The last time she laid was on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom