Newbie needing help quickly please!

Ok, what do you or don't you have to hand that have been recommended and perhaps we can help you work out alternatives. When can you get to a store?
To be honest, nothing that's been suggested. I can get to a store tomorrow, but it's just a supermarket.

Garlic and Greek yoghurt are easy to get. Just dried garlic mixed in the water will do, nothing special.

Supermarkets will stock electrolyte mix or you can make your own if you google it for the proportions. They should also have ACV in the healthfood aisle but don't sweat it if you can't get it.

Chicken vitamins are probably only available at the feed store or you can order online. Liquid Vits for human babies can be used instead.

Its a good idea to get some of this stuff anyway, as essential home chicken remedies if any of them get ill or seem off in the future. It just helps to boost their systems and fight off an illness, restore good gut flora, etc.

She keeps looking like she's straining to poop (or lay???) and her 'insides come outside a bit' while she's doing it - if that makes sense. There's leaking poop, but that's all I've seen her do for the last two days now. The last time she laid was on Monday.
To be honest, nothing that's been suggested. I can get to a store tomorrow, but it's just a supermarket.
Have you felt inside her vent?
Sometimes just doing that will open up enough to let her expel what's in there.
No first aid supplies on hand at all?
If tissue is getting exposed, you can apply a bit of vaseline or honey.

Was there a very foul odor coming from her rear end? That's how you can tell if it's vent gleet.
If you trim back fluff and feathers, dont trim back too much. Urates in feces will scald her skin causing redness and inflammation, probably painful too.
I haven't smelled anything bad, but admittedly haven't ventured right close. All her fluff is already gone. I've trimmed the dirty feathers before reading this - hopefully not too much. She just seems to be continually dirty though.

Have you felt inside her vent?
Sometimes just doing that will open up enough to let her expel what's in there.
No first aid supplies on hand at all?
If tissue is getting exposed, you can apply a bit of vaseline or honey.
I finally felt inside her vent while my nephew held her. I tried twice and couldn't feel anything there. I'm sure I put my finger in far enough, but no blockage that I could feel. Hopefully doing it will have helped. I have vaseline, so can apply that.

Read this https://vetericyn.com/blog/what-is-prolapse-vent-in-chickens/

Other antiseptic solutions are available!
That's a great straightforward article, thanks. Looking at the photos and looking at Holly (about time we called her by name) now, her vent itself when relaxed looks like a picture I've seen of a normal one, maybe slightly more swollen, but I don't think because of a prolapse...I don't think.

Will I be able to pick up a suitable antiseptic solution from a regular pharmacy do you know please? Sorry for the million questions!

Garlic and Greek yoghurt are easy to get. Just dried garlic mixed in the water will do, nothing special.

Supermarkets will stock electrolyte mix or you can make your own if you google it for the proportions. They should also have ACV in the healthfood aisle but don't sweat it if you can't get it.

Chicken vitamins are probably only available at the feed store or you can order online. Liquid Vits for human babies can be used instead.

Its a good idea to get some of this stuff anyway, as essential home chicken remedies if any of them get ill or seem off in the future. It just helps to boost their systems and fight off an illness, restore good gut flora, etc.
You are so, so kind and your help is very much appreciated. I will stock up on what I can tomorrow and order anything I can't. I've really been caught unprepared.

Okay, it's getting dark outside now so the girls will be heading to bed soon. Holly is going to spend the night in her new little run-for-one in a cat basket to give her some peace. Time for a much-neeed shower for me! Let's see what the morning brings. I can't thank you all enough for your help. I was feeling alone with this worry, I don't now.

Back
Top Bottom