Newbie Needing Help

InteriorAlaska

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2021
Hello! I am a first time chicken owner and I’m struggling through the last couple months of winter. I read somewhere that you can’t start the deep litter method mid-winter but no reasons were given for why. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

Deep litter is a self-composting method that needs direct contact with the ground. If your ground is frozen, it won't compost very well. And the litter (I use a chunky mulch) may just freeze. If you can get a dry litter, I suppose you could start now. Just may not compost as well as you'd like.

Deep litter is a self-composting method that needs direct contact with the ground. If your ground is frozen, it won't compost very well. And the litter (I use a chunky mulch) may just freeze. If you can get a dry litter, I suppose you could start now. Just may not compost as well as you'd like.
Thank you! That makes sense. I guess at this point I’m just trying to make it as comfortable as possible for my chickens. I did not fully understand the benefits of deep litter at the beginning of winter and the coop definitely isn’t as warm as I think it could’ve been. They still seem happy but I can’t help but fret over them! It’s been -30 and I’ve had a tough time keeping it warm.

Hmm...this may be a dumb idea, but my understanding is that the deep litter method helps with heat because the bacteria and whatnot that's eating the organic matter in the compost give off heat as a byproduct. Sooo if you were able to start some compost in a heated location, let it get going really well, then take it to the coop and bury it in your existing "deep litter," mayyyyybe the compost germs would keep doing their thing, colonize the deep litter, and provide some warmth?

You'd have to decide if the experiment is worth having stinky compost in a tub somewhere though. And this is just me brainstorming...NO idea if it would work, especially in lows like you experience. You may be better off just adding more insulation to your coop or something.

Hmm...this may be a dumb idea, but my understanding is that the deep litter method helps with heat because the bacteria and whatnot that's eating the organic matter in the compost give off heat as a byproduct. Sooo if you were able to start some compost in a heated location, let it get going really well, then take it to the coop and bury it in your existing "deep litter," mayyyyybe the compost germs would keep doing their thing, colonize the deep litter, and provide some warmth?

You'd have to decide if the experiment is worth having stinky compost in a tub somewhere though. And this is just me brainstorming...NO idea if it would work, especially in lows like you experience. You may be better off just adding more insulation to your coop or something.
I have a warm-ish place outside of my house that I could probably do that in. I actually think I might give it a go! I have nothing to lose!! Yes, we were having a really mild winter up until a couple weeks ago. It was in the high 20s and low 30s and suddenly dropped way below zero. I should’ve been expecting this but I got comfortable with the warm weather!! Thank you for your help!

but my understanding is that the deep litter method helps with heat because the bacteria and whatnot that's eating the organic matter in the compost give off heat as a byproduct.
That's the theory, but, it needs moisture and that is not good for inside a cold climate chicken coop....if it was even warm enough to keep 'cooking' once temps drop.

the coop definitely isn’t as warm as I think it could’ve been.
With adequate ventilation, temps and humidity should be about the same inside coop as outside coop.

Tho at -30° C or F doesn't matter with that number you may need a heater.

This article might help you out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

I have used the deep litter method for years on a wood floor. It works well and I do not see where starting it in the winter would be any issue other than the build up will be faster than the decomposition, which is normally the case anyway if you have several chickens adding to the mix.

:welcome :frowI use pine shaving on the floors of my coops. I mainly put it down because they poop everywhere and it makes it easier to clean out the coop floors. Good luck...

Where are you located?
ScreenshotAccountDetails.jpg

I had another idea...might not be feasible, and not sure how many hours of sun you get right now if in Alaska, but could you build a very rudimentary greenhouse around your coop? Clear plastic sheeting over a 2x4 frame that's anchored into the ground?

I saw a house on TV that was somewhere super cold and they basically built a huge, fancy greenhouse around their home. It raised the air temps quite a bit. I think they did it to save on energy bills and be able to grow more food, but might be an idea you could adapt? You'd need to keep chicken ventilation needs in mind though.

Back
Top Bottom