newbie needs gender help :)

blueshadow39

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Ok we are new to this chicken thing. Our 9 year old decided she wanted to show chickens for 4H and I wanted them for the eggs so here we are on our new adventure.
wink.png
We live in the city and are allowed to have them. We were told to buy pullets so we bought 2 rhode island reds, 2 black australorpes, and 2 buff orpingtons. We absolutely love the orpingtons! They are soooo sweet. (if you can say that a chicken is sweet). Anyways, one of the orpingtons is getting a little red around the beak and the comb. It looks different than the other one. I am wondering if we have a rooster on our hands. I so hope not because we will have to find him a new home. The australorpes scream bloody murder when we pick them up and the rhode islands just run. The orpingtons are just perfect for our 9 yr old to handle. I have pics of the 2 but am not sure how to post them, can someone tell me how to do this. I would like to know if you all think its a roo too
smile.png

I uploaded pics by clicking the upload button. I had my pics on an Sd card so I used the browse button to look for the pic. Double-clicked it and then click upload. As for the sexing of the chicks, I'm a newbie too so not much help. I have 2 pros too and they seem so sweet when they aren't running away from me lol! Just got them today so hopefully they will come around & like me soon. :)

Best way since you are new... put your picture in photobucket and then link it to your post (your daughter should be able to help you
smile.png
that is how I learned)

Orpingtons are SOOOOO sweet.

ok this is the one in question
nugget.jpg
and this is daisy our sweet girl
daisy.jpg

thanks for the help on posting the pics!.

Ahh. I thought you had more posts. After 10 posts you'll see a link in the blue bar near the top that says index... user list... and a few over to the right will be "Uploads."

As for your pics, if I had to guess, I'd say the one on the left looks like a roo. I could be wrong. Someone smarter will come along soon.

GC's DH
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
and sorry to say that's a Roo
hit.gif
you might try getting BR's (barred plymouth rocks) there easy to sex when there young, lay good, lay big brown eggs, and there friendly.

Back
Top Bottom