Newbie needs help on identifying breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BiggKountry, Apr 17, 2009.

1. BiggKountry

BiggKountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Can you tell me what breed these chicks are? The black ones are bantams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you so much.

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I don't know about the first two but the last one looks like my Rhode Island Red. How old are they? They're adorable.

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    The second one is a plymouth rock ?(do they come in Bantam) and the third is a RIR or a production red (a roo maybe look at the comb). The first I don't know. [​IMG]

[​IMG] from California

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    The first looks like my cochin barred rocks I got 3 yrs ago...maybe the same in the second pic ,but can't tell because the legs aren't showing . Third pic looks like an RIR....if it has black tail feathers it would be a production RIR .....forgot to look at the tail !JMO . There are others on here who are better at picking breeds....so I'll pass it off to them .

5. BiggKountry

BiggKountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I have had them for almost 4 weeks. I bought them at TSC, but I don't know how old they were when I bought them. I am guessing maybe 6 weeks old?

Raising chickens is addicting!!!!!!!!!!!

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    barred cochin and rir

7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    im going to go with every1 else and say barred cochin becaus eof feather foots and bantam size, then a production red for the last chicks as if you look in tail are it has dark black feathers, well thats what the pic makes it look like

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    #2 barred rock
    #3 RIR, production red, or maybe a new hampshire red, since it seems kind of light (definitely a roo)

6 weeks is a pretty good guess - they might be just a little bit younger than that - maybe 5 weeks?

It's not a very good picture, but here's my 7-8 week old production red (you can see the black coming in on her tail). Notice how much bigger the comb is on your chick even though it's younger.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of my old barred rock pullet when she was 7-8 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by