Newbie needs help with too many ducks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trudy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. trudy

trudy New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    It all started when I wanted a couple of chickens for eggs. I added them to my barn along with the other critters, turning a stall into their coop. They roam around during the day, locked up at night. Soon after the chickens arrived, so did the Muscovy ducks, which I never had on the property at all!! We live in the country & are used to most anything passing through, other types of ducks would spend time on the pond, but not stay. At first I didn't mind the Muscovies, they were cute, layed a bunch of eggs. Eggs hatched, 21 the first batch, 8 the second batch.....adorable!! It's been at least 3 months now, ALL of the ducklings have survived, I have over 30 ducks hanging around. YIKES!!! Yes, I did feed the ducklings, of course, right???? Now, all these ducks are really making it hard to manage the barn & my 2 chickens. I was going through over 50# of chicken feed a week, all I was trying to do was have a couple of chickens for eggs....I have tried to stop feeding the ducks, but have to lock up the barn gates to try to keep them out of the barn, this isn't working with my other 4 legged animals that need to graze around.
    Help please! What can I do about the ducks????

2. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Put them on Craigslist . People seem to really like that breed of duck and you shouldn't have any trouble finding them homes. Just tell whoever comes out to bring a net so they can catch them unless you catch them up for them.Where do you live maybe somebody on here would want them

3. trudy

trudy New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    I'm in North Ft. Myers, FL I'd really like to keep the chickens, maybe get a couple more, but the ducks!!!!!!! How do I stop this????

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    I agree. I would put them on CL or take them to auction. Lots of people like that breed. (You would always gather and eat the duck eggs. They are also highly sought by bakers.) Best of luck!

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! I agree with the others. First I would find out where they are sleeping at night and catch them then. You can also control the population by gathering the eggs instead of letting them sit. Good luck!! [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

So the muscovies kinda sorta "flew in" onto your property? That's cool. [​IMG]

I had to giggle as I was reading your post. I feel your pain. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. You are preaching to the choir. Barred Babies is right when she says to gather up the eggs instead of letting them sit. That was my problem. I allowed my girls to set on eggs and now 100+ ducklings later I'm a mad woman with so many ducks.

At the same time, be careful with those drifters that wander off and bring back a tribe of ducklings from out of of nowhere. After a while, it's not cute anymore. [​IMG]

As others have said, you can put an ad on Craigslist. That is how I was able to sell a lot of my ducks. And it's best to catch them at night. You will need a few people to catch them because muscovies are EXCELLENT flyers. You will need a net with a long handle.

I wish you the best of luck with your ducks.

9. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by