Newbie Needs Help

MamaCasey2009

Hatching
Mar 13, 2016
Hello! I am new to this and getting my coop together. I need all of the basics! I have a family of seven and want a chicken that lays a fair amount and also would like to be able to sell as well. I'd say to be safe we could call it a daily consumption of eggs at one each though it isn't daily ( with our own eggs it could be!) so how many do I need? What will my coop need? What breed? Tell me how to keep them safe and warm and when to put them in the coop? Also, I am doing this on a budget so as inexpensive as possible is ideal. I'm sure there's more I need to know just throw it at me:) thank you!!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. The Learning Center is a great place to find answers to your questions. I also recommend the "Raising Backyard Chickens." forum

Hi and welcome to BYC.

I guess the number of hens required for you to have at least 7 eggs per day would depend on the breed of chicken. If eggs are you only goal, then may be you may wish to consider getting a commercial laying breed. I'd suggest at least 10 birds. There are heritage breeds that lay well and may be equally as suitable (and will likely produce a constant supply of eggs for much longer). Check out the Breed Section here for further info.

I know that lots of people like to buy chicks, but to be honest, I would advise buying point of lay pullets (4-5 months old) as they are not as tricky to look after at that age, and you do not have to plan and have the expense of setting up a brooder. Plus you will not have to wait long before you get some eggs!

Coop space is recommended to be 4 sq ft per bird, and 1-2ft per bird for the roosts. If you were only getting 10 hens then 2-3 nest boxes will be sufficient.

I sell eggs, but even on a good week I am lucky to recover the cost of feed. Unless you were to go into chicken farming for eggs, then don't expect a profit.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom