Newbie needs help!

You say you don't have a rooster, so you need to break her of her broodiness. Do you have a wire cage you can put her in, like a dog crate? It needs to have a wire mesh bottom, so she gets cool air on her breast and belly, to cool off. Place it on blocks for air circulation. This will take about 3 days and nights. If the weather is nice and warm you can give her a cool bath to start with, just to her breast and belly, and under her wings to cool her off.

Provide feed, water and grit, and place her in the shade where she can see her flock mates. After three days release her. If she heads straight for the nest, repeat for three more days.

Oh. You can release her during the day to poop and dust bathe, but if she goes back to the nest, put her back in the cage. You can also put a roost of some kind in the cage.

Good luck!

Is this a bantam breed? They get pretty serious about staying broody. :)
Not sure really. I got her from a TSC and it was just labeled Easter egger. That’s not even a breed it’s just a title I later found out.

Attachments

• 0C29D9F3-FF87-480F-BFD3-AE787DF25A54.jpeg
    0C29D9F3-FF87-480F-BFD3-AE787DF25A54.jpeg
    600.3 KB · Views: 3
Shoot, okay. How long can I wait her out before I have to quarantine her?
You can get a wire cage, put it on cinder blocks so it’s off the ground, and the air flow will cool her abdomen, and throw her out of broodiness.
If she isn’t going to hatch anything best to break right away. Sitting is hard on them. And some of the die hard hens will sit themselves into malnutrition/dehydration and illness.

You say you don't have a rooster, so you need to break her of her broodiness. Do you have a wire cage you can put her in, like a dog crate? It needs to have a wire mesh bottom, so she gets cool air on her breast and belly, to cool off. Place it on blocks for air circulation. This will take about 3 days and nights. If the weather is nice and warm you can give her a cool bath to start with, just to her breast and belly, and under her wings to cool her off.

Provide feed, water and grit, and place her in the shade where she can see her flock mates. After three days release her. If she heads straight for the nest, repeat for three more days.

Oh. You can release her during the day to poop and dust bathe, but if she goes back to the nest, put her back in the cage. You can also put a roost of some kind in the cage.

Good luck!
Thank you 🙏🏼 so the idea is to basically break a fever? Cool the bird down so she stops sitting.

You can get a wire cage, put it on cinder blocks so it’s off the ground, and the air flow will cool her abdomen, and throw her out of broodiness.
If she isn’t going to hatch anything best to break right away. Sitting is hard on them. And some of the die hard hens will sit themselves into malnutrition/dehydration and illness.
Thank you 🙏🏼 yes we have a dog crate we can use. She’s going to be piiiiiisssed.. 3 days then?

Back
Top Bottom