Newbie needs info on hatching!

excellentwife

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
Central, NJ
Hi BYC-ers,

My family & I are brand new to chicken raising. In fact, we have a newly acquired chicken coop but that's it. I think we'd like to hatch chickens but we don't know what we need, where to buy eggs, and what kind of eggs (chickens) to buy. How long does it take to hatch an egg? And then how long to get eggs from those chickens?

Am I even posting this in the right spot?!

Thanks for any help you all can provide. Looking forward to getting to know you!

~michele~

Hi BYC-ers,

My family & I are brand new to chicken raising. In fact, we have a newly acquired chicken coop but that's it. I think we'd like to hatch chickens but we don't know what we need, where to buy eggs, and what kind of eggs (chickens) to buy. How long does it take to hatch an egg? And then how long to get eggs from those chickens?

Am I even posting this in the right spot?!

Thanks for any help you all can provide. Looking forward to getting to know you!

~michele~
Welcome to BYC! Do you plan on buying hatching eggs or baby chicks? If you want to skip the 21 day hatching period i would buy baby chicks from a hatchery like Meyer or Murray McMurray or a similar hatchery. You can also find a breeder near you and pick them up that way. My hens started to lay around 7 months. I have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Ida Browns.

Back
Top Bottom