Newbie on Board

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cincyfarmer, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Cincyfarmer

Cincyfarmer New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good morning BYC.

My family and I live in Cincinnati, and every year, our yard is becoming more and more like a farm. The summer after we bought our house in 2009, we started gardening fruits and vegetables. A couple years later I started raising rabbits for meat production. After a few months deliberation with my wife over if our city yard could accommodate chickens, we decided to give it a try this year. On 25 February of this year, we purchased 3 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Ameracauna from a local hatchery. The main purpose for the chickens are for eggs, but from my lurking on BYC, it looks like we may get more attached to the chickens than just the eggs they lay.

Our chicks are only a week old and we can already see differences in their personalities. My wife named one of the Rhode Islands "Ms. Chirpy" due to her nearly non-stop chatter. The Ameracauna naturally became "Easter" due to the eggs she will soon be laying. My two younger sons want to name the remaining two as soon as we can tell them apart. During the next few weeks, I will be working on building our chicken coop and yard. I have found a lot of great ideas on the coop page of this website, many ideas I would have never thought about.

The past week I spent lurking on BYC, I found A LOT of useful information. Whenever I would Google a question about chickens, it seems it would always lead me back to BYC. From the forum post and responses I would read, this seems to be the ideal place for new and experienced chicken enthusiasts alike. I'm looking to becoming a productive member of this community.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Cincyfarmer, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like your farm expansion plans are coming along nicely. Glad BYC has been useful in your process. Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way!

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

On our little farm in FL, we raised meat rabbits, goats and chickens...the chickens won hands down for personality and entertainment (and the eggs were pretty good too, lol). Hope you have an equally enjoyable experience with yours.

If you would like to chat with others in OH, you can find your state thread using the link in my signature at the bottom of this post.

It's nice to have you here!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely introduction, I've soenjoyed reading how your yard is turning into a farm :D Great to hear you have found BYC so helpful. It really is packed full of great info. Good luck with your new chicken adventures in the future, I'm sure you will enjoy them very much. They sure are lots of fun and very rewarding too.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Cincyfarmer [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by