Newbie on in home brooding

Sensitivepoet313

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2021
Hey. I am very new to the chicken scene. I have 3 Rhode Island Reds. 2 Porcelain dolces, 3 Silkies. I have them inside the house brooding. I’m wondering how long can I wait before moving them outside? What’s the best way to move them out? Do I throw them out cold Turkey or give them shifts outside until they adjust? I was told I can have them go out as soon as they feather out. What does feathering out look like?
I’ll attach pictures for more intel and clarity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Chicks are usually fully feathered at 6 weeks. The first thing I would do is remove the heat lamp. After 2 or three days, I'd put them in their predator proof coop and run with a huddle box so they can use that if they get cold.

Feathering out is no fluffy feathers.
Is your coop built and ready to go?
How old are your chicks? I’m wondering if you need a heat lamp anymore.
I definitely have them under a heating lamp. The age varies. I just got one silkie yesterday and it’s black and very tiny. I don’t want to disconnect the lamp because the house is kinda chilly 68 degrees. I need to start the coop. But it rained really hard last night
Feathering out is no fluffy feathers.
Is your coop built and ready to go?
How old are your chicks? I’m wondering if you need a heat lamp anymore.

I always move my chicks outside at 2 weeks, no matter what the outside weather is. I just cant stand the smell, dust and noise
Of course they get moved to a larger, completely safe and secure area, among with there heat source.
I see you are using a red heat lamp. I use regular bulbs and reduce the wattage every week down to a 15. that is more to comfort them and get them to come back in the coop at night. Soon that is taken out when they are trained.
Abruptly turning off there light will alarm and scare them. Better to wean them off it slowly.
Your chicks are cute!
Thank you for joining us!
Welcome to the backyard!

I always move my chicks outside at 2 weeks, no matter what the outside weather is. I just cant stand the smell, dust and noise
Of course they get moved to a larger, completely safe and secure area, among with there heat source.
I see you are using a red heat lamp. I use regular bulbs and reduce the wattage every week down to a 15. that is more to comfort them and get them to come back in the coop at night. Soon that is taken out when they are trained.
Abruptly turning off there light will alarm and scare them. Better to wean them off it slowly.
Your chicks are cute!
Thank you for joining us!
Welcome to the backyard!
Awwww thanks. I’m terrified because I bought 6 Rhode Island reds and three died from bloody bowels and pasty but. So I’ve learned my lesson and I’m desperate to keep them alive. My mother said this field causes a lot of heart break. But I’m very satisfied. I’m not sure if gender or if they are meat birds or egg layers. I got them because they are friendly and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom