newbie on quail! what to do what to do LOL

Well I hatched out around 60 out of the 70 eggs but most of them drowned. The first morn. I got up they were all wet and some of them had drown. I didn't put rocks in their quail waterer. The ones that was alive but wet I put back in the bator got them all fluffy again and put them back in the brooder with their waterer that I filled with rocks and got up this morning to a bunch more of drowned quail I don't think any of them will make it this time. I even set up their waterer to where they could only get their head up there and dip their beak! I have like 10 in the bator what do I do about watering them when I move them back to the brooder?

At my feed store they sell these in two sizes one for chickens and one that is real narrow for quail. I have used the chicken one but I filled it up with marbles. So far I haven't had any drown.

You still need to fill that one with marbles for chicks despite what it says. It' as much so they don't get wet and get hypothermia as it is to keep them from drowning.

How big is your brooder?

I filled it with rocks that are the size of marbels. My brooder is a 18 gallon storage tub with a while cut in the lid and wire zip tied to it and the light sits on top of it. The tub is 24" L x 18½" W x 15¾" H

Well I have about 15 chicks left. And the bottom of that waterer is just like the one I got. I just can't figure out how they empty the whole waterer out there was not a drop of water left in the bottle it was all in the bottom of the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom