newbie poop questions

newmarch2014

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Ok all, my 3 B.O. ands my 3 production Reds are now 5 weeks old. Every day up until now there is a lot of single poos here and there all over in the spot they all sleep in the morning, and then of course all over the brooder from the daily activities, but all single spread out poos whether they be the well formed normal ones or the looser normal stuff. This morning I had 2 strange occurences of poop and one of the girls behavior itself and I would like to know if this is just them getting more mature or if I overdid it on the treats or what. They get medicated chick feed and I have been giving them a small handful for the past 9 days of a mix of seeds and dried bits of fruit (I pull out the big stuff) and then they have sand available and a small handful of chick grit thrown in with the sand. This morning. first night with no heat lamp (they are in a high 60's low 70's degree mostly finished basement) I came in and they were all sleeping apart (strange because normally it is a big pile of chicks) and there were 2 HUGE single poos, healthy normal looking poos just 3 times the size of normal, and there were 3 HUGE piles of single poos, like an entire days worth of poop in one pile. They have not done this ever before so I am wondering if it is normal or sign of something I am doing wrong, The cooler temp maybe, the treats? They all seemed normal and woke up and moved around as normal.

I can't speak regarding the poo's, but with them sleeping apart...that sounds normal to me. When they all pile together it most probably is due to them being a little cold and seeking body warmth from each other, so that sounds fine to me!

Thanks and I have read that one a few times but this was not so much the consistency that had me puzzled but the 2 complete differences of the fact that there were 2 gigantic poos that looked more like they would have come from a full size chicken and the other couple that were an entire pile of like 100 poos all in a pile that were not there last night at all. I was just wondering if it was something that I changed that caused a back up of all of them that suddenly expelled itself in bizarre ways or what.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom