Newbie! Question about basics of a backyard setup

broodyblue

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hello! I am brand new to this, researching as much as I can before I set up my backyard coop. I purchased a small coop that I plan to house 3-4 layers in, but I'm not sure if it has everything I need? What are your suggestions for a (small) backyard coop/run? My husband is going to build a run on the outside of the coop, and raise it up off the ground a few feet so they can have some shade below. Inside has one of those pull out trays, a roost and a nest box attached at the side (Pictured below). Is this all they need or should we be adding anything to it? There isn't really anywhere for them to hang out aside from the roost and tray, I wondered if we should build some sort of a platform for them to sleep on? Doesn't really help that there is no interior picture but basically it has the bottom tray and the roost and box and that's it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

they will normally all sleep ont the roosting bar once they get used to the coop. You may ave to keep them locked in it for a week or so until they learn that its home or they may just start going back in at dark, dpends on how old they are. If you can give them a run with plent of space and enclosed to keep the predators out you should be good. Be prepared that any and all grass in the run is going to go bye bye very quickly.

Do you know what the floor dimensions are? Standard sized birds should have 4 square feet of floor space per bird. Remember that in bad weather they may be inside for extended periods.
Good point, didn't think about cold weather, and that we have plenty of. I just went out to measure it, it's only 3' x 2' on the floor not including the nesting box. I should probably think about expanding it a few feet, crazy the ad I read for this coop said it would house 4-6 chickens, so I thought I'd be okay with only 3-4. Thanks for your input. I don't have any chickens just yet but am hatching (well, trying to) a few full sized chickens, americauna and RIR.

they will normally all sleep ont the roosting bar once they get used to the coop. You may ave to keep them locked in it for a week or so until they learn that its home or they may just start going back in at dark, dpends on how old they are. If you can give them a run with plent of space and enclosed to keep the predators out you should be good. Be prepared that any and all grass in the run is going to go bye bye very quickly.
oh duh (sleeping),I am definately learning here! Planning on having an enclosed run for sure, too many cats and dogs running wild in this area. Thanks JDK123 for your input I will keep your suggestions in mind!

Back
Top Bottom