Newbie question about brooder temperature

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Farmer's Mama, Sep 6, 2011.

1. The Farmer's Mama

The Farmer's Mama New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    Eastern Shore, VA
    My family got our first ever chicks 2 weeks ago. We are very excited! We are worried about the temp in there though...My bulb was way too hot for my chicks, so we got a smaller bulb and now the temp wont get over 80. They seem happy. No huddling up under the light. They just are in there hanging out. Is is ok for my 2 week old chicks to be at 80 degrees?

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    As long as they are active around the whole brooder and don't huddle up much, I'd say they are fine. I never use a thermometer. I always go by what the chicks are doing. They do tend to huddle up when sleeping, but it shouldn't be a tight huddle.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    If it helps, i second what ChickeeMomma said, look at them and if they look fine, they are! Good luck![​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't keep a thermometer in my brooders.....I go by how the chicks are acting. If they act comfortable then they are. They're very quick to let you know if they're too cold.

5. The Farmer's Mama

The Farmer's Mama New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thanks guys! I thought they looked ok, but I feel better now! [​IMG]

6. fowlfrenzy1029

fowlfrenzy1029 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Garfield, KY
    Quote:x2

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I only check the temp for the first week, sometimes 2 then I do what the others have said. I let the chicks tell me if they're too cold or too hot [​IMG] They know better than we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by