newbie question alert - Leghorn rooster and easter egger hen?

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
If the "father" is a Leghorn and "mom" is an Easter Egger what do you get most likely?
I am assuming if the eggs I hatch are colored, I will be getting something along the lines of an EE, but will it lay more, be bigger etc...?
My mother in law (who has the sisters to my flock) had a leghorn that went on rampages (ate feathers, plucked vents) and made life VERY difficult for her (but laid almost every day HUGE eggs) and this has my wife a little nervous of getting a "leghorn mix" but the eggs are local and fertile.

Any help would be apreciated to help us make a decision.

You never know how the chickens are going to turn out until they hit their chicken puberty (unless it is a culled flock that has been filtered for personality traits over several years). I have so much personality variation, despite them all getting the same care, with my genetically similar chickens it is ridiculous. You can be sure though that any leghorn cross is going to probably be a flighty jerk if its a roo and my lone leghorn hen is one of my favorites (my crosses start off flighty but mellow out into friendly,ie running to greet me for treats). She has a serious crush on my husband and follows him all over the place talking to him. Oddly, she is one of our friendliest chickens. My leghorns and crosses aren't chicken violent though except the usual dominant chicken jousting and my last rooster was really sweet with his flock of girls. I definitely prefer my EE roo. I would say go for it but be wary of the roo's the hens should be fine unless they are caged up too much. The leghorn factor should increase the egg production slightly or at least not detract.

I have two leghorn hens and they are very sweet and quiet; not particulary friendly but not flighty. I acquired them from McMurry as juveniles. I've heard when you cross a blue EE "layer" with a leghorn you will get very blue eggs and a better layer; I only have Marans roos so I can't test the theory. Good luck!

Wow, it like magic, I go to sleep and then people answer (I was starting to think I killed my own thread)
As it turns out, the person with the eggs has gone into hiding, (she answered my post looking for EE eggs on a local horse forum) and I think she is not supposed to have a Roo (thats OK with me, I'm not supposed to have any chickens errrr.... "ground dwelling parrots")

You brought up another concern for me, they are penned most of the time with a few hours a day (weather permitting) to free range in my backyard (My MIL's Leghorn problably acted out because she doesn't free range as much)

I would just check craiglist for people selling chicks in my area. Bunch of people are doing spring hatching right now around here. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey Trent - I somehow found this thread while I was browsing and realized who it was (ironically because of all your talk about incubators lol.)

Did you decide whether or not you were getting the eggs yet? Personally I wouldn't risk it. The birds might end up really sweet, but once you get a plucker the others tend to copy the behavior. Our run was bigger than yours but it still wasn't enough to discourage "Little" (aka the rampaging leghorn) from plucking. She was only happy once she could free range 24/7 at her new home, although being demoted to the bottom chicken probably didn't hurt either. We've been in contact with her new owner still and she says she hasn't had any problems from her whatsoever... Roaming space probably has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
I have the opposet cross EE roo over WL hens, I don't have much to say on the girls because my broodys raised them (I think their the ones laying pale blue eggs) all are okay birds, Kernel(roo) was one of my friendliest chick as a baby, but here are two of the roos(in the first picture also has one of the WL hens):
4439_kernelwl-ee1-19-10.jpg

4439_carmel_2-15.jpg

And two of the pullets:
4439_wl-ee_mix_pullets_1-19-10_004.jpg

4439_wl-ee_mix_pullets_1-19-10_001.jpg

I have the opposet cross EE roo over WL hens, I don't have much to say on the girls because my broodys raised them (I think their the ones laying pale blue eggs) all are okay birds, Kernel(roo) was one of my friendliest chick as a baby, but here are two of the roos(in the first picture also has one of the WL hens):

4439_carmel_2-15.jpg

And two of the pullets:
4439_wl-ee_mix_pullets_1-19-10_004.jpg

4439_wl-ee_mix_pullets_1-19-10_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom