Newbie question: breeds to mix

BoyetteK9

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Clermont County, Ohio
In April I'll be getting pullets (6-8) for the first time. Is it preferable to get all of one breed, or can they mixed as much as one of all different breeds? Should there be at least two of each? Does it matter to them?

I've got a mixed flock and they get along really well. If you are looking to get fancy breeds like polish watch out, because anything the birds see as diferent will get pecked!

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
It doesn't matter to them. they're not prejudice.
gig.gif
wink.png

When I ordered in the summer, I tried to get birds of similar size (goofed up on the Campine, but she gets along fine with the larger birds). I have 2 Delawares, an EasterEgger, Gold laced Wyandotte, Partridge Rock, and a Welsummer (and the Golden Campine). They seem to get along fine, but none of them are bullies, either. I just wanted a nice assortment of colors and colored eggs. They just started laying and the EE lays pretty blue/green eggs, the Campine - white, the GLW lays an almost pink egg, and the Delawares lay glossy brown eggs, so I have a colorful assortment already. Some breeds have the reputation for being combative or pushy, and I stayed away from those.

Sharol,

Are most of your chickens the same size (excepting the Campine)? You have some of the breeds I am considering, but, I had thought the Wyandotte & Rock would be somewhat larger then the Delaware or Welsummer.

I started out with 9 different breeds. They all got along just fine but 2 of the roosters have been re-homed (and the 3rd will probably be re-homed shortly
hit.gif
). All were supposed to be females but I ended up with only 66% being hens. I had:

Welsummer (rooster rehomed)
Gold Laced Wyandotte (rooster rehomed - I was told that he was really a mix with a Production Red
somad.gif
)
Easter Egger (rooster - leader of the flock and sweet!)
Dark Brahma
Blue Cochin
Black Australorp
Barred Plymouth Rock (really a timid girl)
Speckled Sussex
Buff Orpington (the biggest bully of the females!!)

Like someone mentioned, you might have problems if one looks a lot different than the others but I think that depends a lot on the temperament of the flock.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom