Newbie question: breeds to mix

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BoyetteK9, Jan 1, 2011.

1. BoyetteK9

BoyetteK9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Clermont County, Ohio
    In April I'll be getting pullets (6-8) for the first time. Is it preferable to get all of one breed, or can they mixed as much as one of all different breeds? Should there be at least two of each? Does it matter to them?

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I've got a mixed flock and they get along really well. If you are looking to get fancy breeds like polish watch out, because anything the birds see as diferent will get pecked!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] It doesn't matter to them. they're not prejudice. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    It doesnt matter! Whatever suits your fancy!

5. BoyetteK9

BoyetteK9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Clermont County, Ohio
    Nothing exotic planned. Just a few Buff Orps and Ameracaunas.
    Thanks for the info!

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    When I ordered in the summer, I tried to get birds of similar size (goofed up on the Campine, but she gets along fine with the larger birds). I have 2 Delawares, an EasterEgger, Gold laced Wyandotte, Partridge Rock, and a Welsummer (and the Golden Campine). They seem to get along fine, but none of them are bullies, either. I just wanted a nice assortment of colors and colored eggs. They just started laying and the EE lays pretty blue/green eggs, the Campine - white, the GLW lays an almost pink egg, and the Delawares lay glossy brown eggs, so I have a colorful assortment already. Some breeds have the reputation for being combative or pushy, and I stayed away from those.

7. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Sharol,

Are most of your chickens the same size (excepting the Campine)? You have some of the breeds I am considering, but, I had thought the Wyandotte & Rock would be somewhat larger then the Delaware or Welsummer.

8. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    I started out with 9 different breeds. They all got along just fine but 2 of the roosters have been re-homed (and the 3rd will probably be re-homed shortly [​IMG]). All were supposed to be females but I ended up with only 66% being hens. I had:

Welsummer (rooster rehomed)
    Gold Laced Wyandotte (rooster rehomed - I was told that he was really a mix with a Production Red [​IMG])
    Easter Egger (rooster - leader of the flock and sweet!)
    Dark Brahma
    Blue Cochin
    Black Australorp
    Barred Plymouth Rock (really a timid girl)
    Speckled Sussex
    Buff Orpington (the biggest bully of the females!!)

Like someone mentioned, you might have problems if one looks a lot different than the others but I think that depends a lot on the temperament of the flock.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by