Newbie question: dust bath for my hens

Does anyone know if ashes from the bbq can be used for dust baths? I'm worried about the chemicals that might be in charcoal briquette (sp?) ashes.

haven't read the other replies...

you can use sand, dust (from regular dirt), fireplace ash or a mixture of all of them...you should have about 6" in whatever container you use.

we made one for our girls with a huge plastic laundry bowl, ~70cm across. they never really got into it...they still used the shavings for dust baths...we took it out in the end, but some people birds love them.

I use a mix of about 1/2 peat moss, 1/4 sand, and 1/4 ashes from my fire place. My box is in the open so it gets rained on. The peat moss doesn't get as compacted in the rain as regular dirt.

Another idea would be the sand boxes you can buy for kids built for the purpose and have the holes in the bottom already and a cover.
I actually saw one about three weeks ago at a garage sale for about $10.
But honestly if they have access to the earth all they need are their feet and beak and the next thing you know you will think they are trying to dig to China

It has to be wood ash only. Also if you use sand, it is supposed to be river sand and not any sand with salt in it. The DE is great for more than just dust bathes. You can use it for everything! Your chickens and any other pets can eat it as well and its good for them.

My chicks are ten weeks old today and I just caught them dust-bathing. Hilarious.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom