newbie question on candling... please advise?

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I just candled the six eggs my silkie hen has been sitting on since Dec 2nd in the morning (so day 8).

What should I be looking for, exactly, at this stage?

I've looked over all the info & photos I could find but am stumped...

These are brown/beige sexlink eggs.

Four are really heavy and the light wouldn't pass through them, only appeared paler at one end of the egg.

It's like a dark mass is stopping the light? But I don't see any "veining" or "the dark eye spot" anywhere
hu.gif

For the last two eggs, the light passed right through them, I think they are infertile as I think I could see a yolk shadow in the middle of the eggs, not sure. These were very different from the other four.

None of the eggs smell bad.

Do we have chicks on the way???
fl.gif

I wouldn't toss any of the eggs yet and candle again in a couple days. At 7 or 8 days it's hard to see anything. Around 10 days you should see some light veining and a tiny little black spot - moving! at the big end of the egg. Sometimes you have to try the light in several positions - start at the little end and shine it up, then try from the side.

Sometimes even if I can't see anything at 10 days, I leave them in and try again in another 4-5. By then you should definitely be able to tell the good from the bad.

Good luck!!!
fl.gif

Yes, read the sticky
old.gif

But also, try again in another 3 or 4 days. It may be too early to make a decision on them. I figure, if they don't smell leave 'em. I weed out eggs right before hatch cycle, on day 16 or 17, by then it's really obvious if they are or aren't developed. I've been suprised by quite a few that I thought were duds early on and turned out developing beautifully.

I candle at day 7 (even better at day 10), day 14 & day 18 (the last chance to remove any bad eggs, before locking down the incubator awaiting day 21 & hatching). How lucky you have a broody hen, they know what they're doing. My flashlight & my eyesight are not very strong so on day 7 or 10, I'm looking for dark mass compared to a translucent egg where you can see egg white & yoke. I stopped driving myself nuts with looking for veining & body parts when my light is not high powered to candle with; now I just walk away with a smile when dark mass eggs are there. If it's dark mass then those are the one's to count as possible good ones & the translucent ones are removed then or later on day 14 or before day 18 (just wishful hoping on my part to give them a chance, I don't leave them there too long anymore because one yucky one exploded with a mess, it taught me a lesson). Best wishes to you & your hatches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone!

Yes I did read the sticky (very helpful!) and looked at videos, googled my little fingers off... but still am confused.

I think my eyes aren't capable of really seeing anything because the flashlight isn't powerful enough?

Two eggs are very translucent and four are not, they feel really heavy and they each have a big dark mass at the big end of the egg, which moves and slides if I turn the egg (slowly). I have no idea what I'm looking at.

I'll wait until Day 14 and candle again, maybe then I'll get a better idea of what's doing on?

Day 9 now...

Anxious!
fl.gif

Quote:
Ok, a couple of things for you.....first of all I agree with everyone, do not throw anything out yet. Secondly, with the darker eggs you may have more luck shining your light through the air cell at the fat end of the egg. (this is most likely the "light spot" you are seeing in the eggs) I had to go purchase a new flashlight at Walmart because I could not really see anything through my dark maran eggs. I purchased a Coleman MAX that is 115 luminaries. It works beautifully even through my darkest eggs and I have suggested it to EVERYONE since I bought it.

Lastly, I did end up throwing out 5 eggs around day 10 but it was only because I was very certain they were not good. When I removed them, the girls and I opened them up to see what was going on inside. The two I had with dark cloudy spots and no developement at all were not fertile when I opened them. I had one that seemed completely clear and had some bubbles....this egg was scrambled inside the egg. Then I had two that were very early quitters....probably day 1 or 2 and day 3 or 4 based on the point at which they stopped developing.

I hope this helps. Wait a few more days before making any decision and try a stronger light if you are able. Good luck!

***Dumb question, but I better ask to make sure....you are candling in the darkest room possible right? With my white eggs it does not have to be as dark, but the darker the shell the darker I needed to have it in the room. I made the family turn off all the lights downstairs at night when I would candle. I am not meaning this question to be insulting, but I was surprised at how much just a little extra light effected my ability to see inside the dark eggs.

Last edited:
4CrazyGirlz, I candled in a pretty dark room and the eggshells themselves aren't too dark (just the regular "brown egg" from sexlinks) but I definitely need a stronger light!

I will candle again at day 14 with a stronger light and that should give a definite answer, yes?

At least I hope so!

Thanks so much for your help and advice, everyone, I appreciate it all!

Back
Top Bottom